Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a new bass for jazz & funk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    :help:

Fairly new to the bass... Looking at getting a new one. I currently own an MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 string. It's great but I'm sharing it with my father (only 19 years of age :p)

I am free to gig with it, do what I want with it etc... But I want one that is mine.

I don't have that much money but am willing to save up for a good bass.

The styles I am interested in are all fingerstyle jazz and funk type music. You know, John Scofield jamband type stuff to Headhunters to Tower of Power to Earth Wind and Fire. I already know the Fender Jazz I have is a great bass and is very versatile. It seems to nail everything I try to do. I'm looking for a punchy but warm sound. And it would be nice to have a bass that can do it all.

Would the Conklin GT-4 or GT-5 do anything similar as my current bass? I noticed its $600-850 price range is quite low, but I also know Conklin makes some great basses.
    Another bass I have my eye on is the Conklin GT-4 "Rocco". I don't know the pricing or release date on it though.

If there are any other companies that make basses in the 1 grand price range (or if it's worth it to save up for a primo bass) please help me out!

Appreciate it very much.

Oh and this is the best site on the web.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'd really stick with a 5 string Jazz

:)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id suggest:
    -Musicman Sterling
    -G & L L2000 or Tribute

Great for funk, growly, comfy can get warm tones as well.

4. +1 You've already said that the MIA Deluxe 5 nails everything. Well, there ya have it.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah but it's not mine to keep :(

6. Definately.

I know you may want some change or something, but if you find something that nails something, then stick with it.

I'd just buy one of your own though.

7. Why not buy another one, then? What's the price difference between what you are asking about and the Fender?

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hmm good points. I guess I just want to find out what these other basses are capable of doing.

9. For the money, if 4 strings are enough, take a look at the Fender Marcus Miller 4 (the 5 goes for well over a thousand), they are versatile enough once you figure out how to get the tones out of it you want (and it can do what you are asking of it IMO, of course).......the key to this bass is play A LOT OF THEM to find a "good one" at least that was my experience anyway....wound up getting 1 from a guy that needed the money, bass was flawless, played great, all I did eventually was put on a set of Sadowsky Nickel Strings and give it a good setup and she has been great since....

I currently play a Sadowsky nearly exclusively but I use this bass as my slapper and old school finger funk when I really need that Marcus Vibe.....check it out...

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Will the Marcus Miller give me a tone that is comparable to my current Fender Deluxe Jazz? I guess I really do have to play a lot of them to find out. I've also been looking at the Sadowskys. 2 grand is the normal price for them, right? And basically they are boutique, handmade Fender "clones" right?

5 strings is not a must-have, but then again I've never been without them, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Geddy Lee jazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :)

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    There are so many basses out there, so many bass companies. Yet you guys continue to endorse the Fenders. Not that I have a problem with this, but what about Conklin, G&L, Lakland? I really need to get out and play all these basses :)

13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I think that's why you keep getting Fender suggestions :p .... you say you already use one and it's great, but you want one that is your own ..... You also say that the J is versatile and nails everything you do ......

There is nothing wrong with a Conklin (quite the opposite, they're great basses) and if you want to switch from a Fender the Conklin would be a good choice .... BUT ....

Since you already know that a Fender works well for you, are you just looking to change for the sake of change, or is there something about the Fender that you don't like? Maybe a few more details will help the crew here to give some more suggestions.

As for me, I say go to a music store and play everything you can touch until they throw you out. See what feels & sounds good to you .......... :cool:

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I guess the reason Fender is touted so much for this type of music is that Fender basses were used to record all that old stuff (You have good taste in music, by the way.) so Fenders are still appropriate. I would think, since you want to play finger-style funk and jazz, that a passive Fender might do it for you.

15. I'd give a try to MIJ-Jazz, the quality of USA basses (do not stone me) and less expensive, you can choose from many models (MM is one of them) and for the styles you mentioned, I doubt you can find somethink markedly better in your price range.

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I guess my next question is:

Tonally, what is the difference between a single P pickup, dual J pickups, or a PJ combination?

Is one more bright, one more thumpy, or does it just give diversity? I noticed Rocco's new signature Conklin has a PJ configuration, and I like his sound, but I have a feeling he could play any bass and make it sound good :p

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :D Yeah, Rocco could play a 2 x 4 with rubber bands and sound great!

PJ gives you a lot of flexibility, especially for your style of music. J's alone are fine, as well. I don't think you'll like just a P sound for some of the funk stuff ...........

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    AS a sadowsky fanatic I can certantly say there worth the wait, If you like the MIA Jazz you'll LOVE a Metro, There are a few showing up used including a 4 for 1600 with the vintage tone control on the board. If you can't wait I would suggest a Lakland Daryl Jones, haven't played the fives but the fours are very impressive for that 70's Jazz vibe and quality is on par if not better then MIA Fenders. I own a Fender MIA Deluxe 4 that I'm going to sell, I would trade it for the right DJ in a heartbeat.

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    oh man would I love to have that bass. I don't have the cash for it right now, though :(