Looking for a new bass rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gLaDiAtOr, Nov 30, 2004.

1. I am currently on the verge of buying a new bass rig. I'm looking mainly for a quad box with separate head for around the $1200 range. I went into my local music store and they had a Hartke 3500 head, Hartke 115TP and a 410TP second hand for $1500 but I think I could negotiate him down to $1200. Don't forget this is in AUD and the unit is second hand. Do you think this is a good deal or could I get a better deal for the money?

Kind regards Joe.
  2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    You can get much more set up than that used for $1200.00. Don't do it. That businessman is obviously having to make a living off his sales. Find a rig owner who is a bit more desperate and find you a better deal. Try Ebay for one example and you can get alot of rig for that price. I went used for the head and new on the cab for that amount and I am very pleased. :D
  3. Well I have just found a second hand excellent condition Hartke 3500, Hartke 410XL for $900 AUD. How would this setup sound and would it be necessary for me to purchase an additional 1 x 15? If so, how much louder would it make the rig?
  4. I have a 3500 and a 410 XL. Very punchy sound, Loud enough for me. I´m planning to change because it´s to heavy for me.
  5. i just ordered an avatar 2x10,1x15 for about $600($598 with castors and shipping inclued). and im gonna order a GK1001rb from riks for $600. so that right there is $1200 all new ill let ya know how i like it when i get but but i have heard nothing but good things about it.

EDIT: nevermind avatar dont ship outside the US
  6. wish

Nov 28, 2004
    Augusta, Ga.
    As long as the speakers are rated for the rms wattage output of the amp, i.e.: a 350 watt amp WILL blow a 200 watt speaker. Your 4/10 should be rated @ 400 watts @ 8 ohms. If you need more volume, I'll see you at Wembly arena. Happy Holidays! (By the way, it seems that you a GREAT rig! Congatulations)!
  7. Check out this thread, mate. .

your budget is roughly $1,100 USD. So this thread will show you the quickest way us yanks can part with 1,000.

I don't know what you are looking for tone wise. But you need to decide what is more important-having a rig the size of a refridgerator or good tone.

Personally, I would go for another head and a 4 ohm cab. Go direct in the PA for louder venues. Then add another cab for the largest venues. Just assess your needs first. that's all.

Find out what the import penalty(or tax, if you prefer) is so we can see what is most cost feasible. I can name places that will ship. You just have to pay the penalty when you pick it up.
  8. I don't really want to purchase overseas as it is to much of a hassle. If I purchased an additional 115XL, would the 3500 head be able to support the 410XL plus the 115XL? ALso, this rig will not be moving, well it might once a year or so. I do a lot of slap music and stuff like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182 etc.
  9. Just had a talk to the father and he said if I can get better stuff from the states for a cheaper price then I can do it but one problem, we have a different type of power in Australia. How would I overcome this problem? Also, how much better could I get if I ordered from overseas?
  10. Well, I hate Hartke. But it might be what your looking for. There really is no hassel, just pay the import tax. But if you want that Hartke rig, just understand that it does not have enough balls to run at 2 ohms. So all you need to do is verify that both cabinets, regardless of driver compliment, are 8 ohms, which will allow the Hartke rig to run at 4ohms.
  11. asmith

Nov 19, 2004
    As far as the power type issue, I know at least Ampeg and probably other brands as well post their owner's manuals online. That would probably let you know if the head can handle the power source. Also there are some good converter things available; I think Monster has one, and I don't know for sure but I would have to guess Furman has one also. The advantage of a converter is that then you could run any head.

To answer the original question, the other guys are right on about prices. The Ebay thing may be really good for you because some sellers might have really favorable shipping options.

Edit: BTW last I saw Flea was playing GK stuff; cabinets being 3 4x10 and 3 1x15. I run Ampeg stuff with one 4x10 and 1 1x15 and get similar tone, but just not as loud! :) My source is http://www.musicplayer.com/lounge/setups/flea.htm
  12. Will I purchased the Hartke 410XL and the Hartke 3500. DO you think it will be worth purchasing a Hartke 115XL?
  13. I have the 3500 and the 4.5 410xl cab - and I think it is enough FWIW