Looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VictorLeMonteWooten, Jan 7, 2001.

1. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I'm kind of looking for a new bass that is in the $600-800 price range. I am eyeballing 10 year-old used musicmans and american deluxe precisions. I have experimented with warwicks that much (i heard they're pretty good). I may think about a used rickenbacker or g&l. I am not even think of buying a lakland, conklin, hamer, hohner, or a yamaha. What do you think i should look into. I still need to save up some $$$ though. :(
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I see you live in Seattle. Do you know how lucky you are to have a store like Bass Northwest in your home town? Go down there and play everything you can put your hands on and get to know the staff.
  3. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i like to persuade my parents to go to "The New Orleans" cajun restaurant (they have music on tuesdays or some day,) , so i can stop by there. After a couple hours there i will usually go to "Emerald City Guitars." They are a pretty cool shop. I haven't got around to knowing the staff.

i save up all of my money for basses and equipment.

[Edited by VictorLeMonteWooten on 01-07-2001 at 07:46 PM]
  4. In that price range I don't think you can go wrong with a used Musicman, G&L, or Fender.

Have you tried out any upper end Peavey's? I've played a Cirrus 5 and I thought the B was a bit weak, but I was surprised at the overall quality of the bass. I think a 4 would be killer. A used one should be right about in that price range.. maybe lower.

I guess it's just a matter of trying out everything you can.

I wish I lived by a store like BassNW. :( The only place with really high end stuff is about 2 hours away from here (and 4 away from UW-Madison.. which is pretty much my home now). It's just a little hole in the wall too. It almost made me cry to see all of that nice equipment packed into such a small space. I don't understand why it is where it is. The town is fairly big, but they'd do much better business in Madison or Milwaukee.
  5. Victor Wooten?!?! hey man whats up?!?! man you were awesome in Vital Tech Tones, man!!! my friend just got me into jazz so i don't know much about you're work...but i know you got the skills!...wow...Victor Wooten....whattya think of Ibanez basses?
  6. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an American Precision Deluxe in Shoreline Gold/Maple neck for sale. 1997, perfect condition. Email me if you're interested.

7. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I hope you're attempting sarcasm. If not, I have a question for you. Why would the real Wooten look for a 600-800 dollar bass when he has all of those fabulous Foderas?
  8. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i'm getting sick of my user name. i love victor's music and all. but i'm getting tired of some of the messages.

I haven't really ventured towards peaveys. I always thought they were crap, but i heard that in that last year or so that they are getting better.

Most of the basses i like have a link to leo fender.
    G&L.. L= Leo Fender (i don't think i have to explain that)
    Musicmans were made by leo before eb bought them.

So they all have a design by leo.

I'm not very familiar with recent basses (i.e. warwicks, "good" peaveys, conklins, laklands, etc,). I stick with fenders, rickenbackers, alembics, etc. for calling good basses; i stick with what worked well from the past)
  9. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Im selling my Fender RB-5.Check my ad on the FS page if interested.Good luck!
  10. that's my price range, and i plan on getting a reverend rumblefish. i hear nothing but praise for them. so if you're not afraid to be a little different, look into those.
  11. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I just bought a 5 string G&L.. and I LOVE IT!!!!! I don't have a 4 string toy at the moment, but when I get some more money.. I'm going to buy an ASAT... they have the jazz bass type neck, and they sound so good!! They are also near your price range..
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not to mention "why would the real victor wooten say "not considering conklins"", since vic has a really nice 8 string (doubled 4). i think he also has a conklin electric upright.

then again, if victor wooten came here, he probably wouldn't use his name, so that he wouldn't get bugged by people. :D
  13. Yea, Vic has a Conklin upright.. I'm at least 95% sure that I read that somewhere. :)