1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piano Black, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Piano Black

Piano Black

Sep 26, 2005
    Apple Valley
    I've finally settled into my own as to what kind of basses I play, so i need some help on finding that bass.

I don't get much of a chance to go out often to a music store to try basses out, but here's my jist:

I've pretty small hands for a bass player, and I'm currently using a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Fretless. I really like this bass, it's light, the neck is thin and plays well in my hands, and I like the scale length and the pickups it uses.

I'm looking to get a fretted bass that has the same amount of playability as my Rockbass. Something with the smaller, faster necks, approx. 34" scale or so, with enough frets (21+) and a bass that actually gives access to the upper frets.

I've tried Fender Jazz Basses, but they just feel akward in my hands... I liked their Active J-Bass, but it still just didn't seem right. I'm hoping to head to the local Guitar Center soon to do some more searching... but I also like as much input as miscellany as possible.

Thanks.

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hmm first time i've ever heard warwick and thin neck in one paragraph :p

You should check out spectors, 24 frets, nice sounding, not sure how there necks are (it's been a while) you can always get a Warwick rockbass classic if you like the tone, they are very nice basses. I guess it comes down to how much your willing to spend, give us that and i can suggest more.

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe a Jazz 24? Other than that, Geezerman's suggestion seems to fit well. Also, you might want to try some short scale basses, like a mustang or even one of those little Gretsches.

4. Piano Black

Piano Black

Sep 26, 2005
    Apple Valley
    I'm thinking somewhere around < $600. I was looking into Spectors, there's one that goes for about $450 that I might look into trying out.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Check out carvin, and have you ruled out use in your search? Welcome to TB! Fill out your profile if you can :)

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've always been impressed with the Spectors that I find in local guitar shops. Usually EMG P/J combos with some kind of preamp. It's usually extremely powerful and versatile. And I can guarantee you that the neck will be thinner than that of a Warwick. ;)

-Eric.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think the Spector Rebop line starts around $400 new. You should be able to find a Euro bolt on Spector for $600 used.

8. Piano Black

Piano Black

Sep 26, 2005
    Apple Valley
    Sweet, thanks, I'll check it all out.