Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, I was thinking that after I get a new amp I want to think about getting a new bass. I think im going to go with a four string because I have a five now and I never use the low B. Im looking to spend around 1500 dollars canadian for a new bass. I want to get a good all around bass that I can go from playing in a worship group, to jazz, then to a rock group I play in. So versitilty is a must and I want to get something with a warm sound.

Thanks for the help

2. Lakland gets my vote. 55-01 might be warmer than the 44-01.

3. Call me crazy...but I played a Squier Jazz a couple of months back and thought the tone was quite nice and punchy. I played a MIM Jazz a couple of weeks back and thought it was OK...but not quite as warm as the Squier.

For a Warm Thumpy Sound I always liked a good P bass with flatwounds.

You could also try for a used G&L Tribute.

My suggestion to you is to get to as MANY music stores as you can and play as MANY basses as you can. Because there are so many that sound so GOOD, but the sound is so subjective.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Check Nino @ ValentiBasses.com . Good stuff. Real good stuff. Oh yeah.

5. tomr

tomr

Oct 13, 2005
    Try a Status Bass. Made in England. These are unbelievable pieces of machinery. The slap funk sound is amazing but a heavy, deep clear tone with the flick of a switch! Graphite necks. And for the flashy b******s among us...they'll fit led lights into the frets! Awesome. If it's good enough for John Entwistle and Mark King...

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Umm, that's not really warm. Thats bright and edgy. I think a G&L Tribute would work real well.
    A Jazz bass was good enough for Jaco, Marcus, Geddy, Victor and countless others, but costs 1/10 of a Status.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I give him my vote. He puts together some really quality stuff!

8. tomr

tomr

Oct 13, 2005
    Nope, it is a warm sound when needed. Used it for some jazz sessions and heavy rock gigs. Very versatile.

Got mine for £600 second hand so not that expensive for such an amazing hand made instrument that still (after 8 years) plays and looks as new. Let me know where you get your guitars so cheap.

9. debbandruss

debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004