Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Nov 9, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, I have been playing for a while and I thinking about upgrading to my bass. Im willing to spend 2500CDN and I want to here what you guys would recommend. this will probally be a bass ill have for a long time so I want to make the right decision. Right now I playing a peavey fury 5 and want to upgrade for that. And as a little guide line I want to get a bass something like my peavey I can get good sounds out of it and cant wait to here what you guys recommend so I can good tones time a million.

2. I'm supposing that you are somewhere in Canada, and if so, you owe it to yourself to check out F basses, Dingwall, and a few others in the GWN

3. Where are you in canada? I'd check out the online stores in the US, with the high canadian dollar it can be a better deal then the local shops.

As for specific basses, I'm really digging the modulus genesis 5 right now, I bought two, though I may only keep one. Great basses, designed by Michael Tobias, and they are pretty cheap used. Club bass in toronto has sadowsky metro's, which I hear are great (I love my NYC Sadowsky). F bass, Dingwall, Kinal are some respected canadian builders.

4. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    I live in Cranbrook British Columbia its close to alberta. and I saw ding wall on axe music.com and arent they like 12,000 dollars?

5. I'm from calgary (go flames!), I'm just out here temporarily. Yeah some dingwalls are expensive, but I've seen some in your price range used. And if you buy used you can usually sell for what you paid if decide to try something different.

6. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    I think im going to buy new this time my peavey was used and It shows the abuse that was inflicted on it now so im thinking I might try new first before I go used again.

7. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    But then again if its taken care of well I might consider going used. and about the dingwals It must have been just one of them I found some in my price range and also have you guys heard anything good about lakland 55-02s?

8. a friend of mine has a 55-02, it's awesome. that was one of the basses I considered when I bought my genesis, and if I sell one of my genesis' I may pick up a 55-02.

9. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    another thing came to mind that I wanted to ask you guys. Do you know of any Candian websites that sell basses besides axemusic.com?

10. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Check out Lecomptebass.com Bud builds some really cool basses and he isnt overpriced. He offers a wide variety of styles and options.I will be picking up my Lecompte VB5 next week> I cant wait! Check him out! Good luck!!

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The Dingwall Afterburner 1 and Afterburner 2 are both in your price range...and I think definitely outclass the competition in the same price break. I like my AB 1 so much I'm spending lots more on a Z series...even though the AB1 pretty much kicks A**. Try one. You won't regret it.

12. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    couple options, all in varying viability

Stingray's arent so bad, not too expensive, good sound for a manufactured bass, very versitile.

Carvin customs, start having carvin modify the hell out of a manufactured bass for you, do wahtever you want, cus its tough to make one of their 700$ basses go up more then 200-400 bucks if you know what you want

I'm confident that you could go with a valenti, which gives a decent amount of flexibility, that is, if you want that.

Some decent fenders are in your price range, the ash american precision deluxe, ash american jazz deluxe both sounded great when i played them.

Warwicks are great for slapping, got that unmatched warwick growl, and are around your pricerange.

some mtd's. cant recall which edition.

ksd's, though i hear quality has declined. can be had on basscentral for 716 us.

There are almost limitless possibilities at that price or below, admittedly, you arent getting a alembic, or you arent getting a conklin erb, but there are some very very undeniably good guitars to be had. (bass guitars that is).

oh yeah... who can forget sadowsky? :)

13. Larbo

Larbo

Nov 1, 2004
    Check out Josh Helm's custom basses at www.jjhelms.com. He produces great basses at a reasonable price. I bought a 5 string that has a birdseye maple neck-some of the best work that I've seen.

14. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    I looked at the afterburner and I like what I see when I make a trip to calgary I see if they have one at axe music to try out. But for now I wanted to now how is it from slapping and fingerstyle?

15. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/basses.html

He does custom body styles, custom neck profiles, custom inlay, tons of wood options, he's great to work with, and he's right in your price range!

Together, Chris and I discussed every aspect of the design of my bass. From the wood selection and nut material to the string spacing and electronics.

Do a search for Stambaugh and see what people are saying. Seriously, this guy has skills!

The only down side is the wait. Mine took 6 months. But hey, there's a support group for that right here on the TB!

Good luck,

Chad

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Plenty of room for slapping and since the tone is wide and even, it sounds great.

I play 98% finger style and it's excellent. You'll see when you try it. :)

17. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Im super stoked on the afterburner I cant wait to get my hands on one and try it out.

18. If you go to long and macquade in calgary make a list of stuff you're interested in and get them to check the system, they have the stock, new and used, for all of the L&M's in the country on their computer's at the counter. They'll bring whatever you want to calgary for you, I've found a couple gems that way, and there's no deposit so if you don't like the bass you're not on the hook for anything.