1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukey donkey, Aug 2, 2012.

1. I'm looking at the LTD phoenix 204...anyone have experience with it? The band I'm in plays metal along the lines of Pantera/ Sepultura/ older Slipknot... I need a bass with a lot of definition and precision, and a lot of low growling bottom end... do you think this bass will do it.

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I've never heard it, but it looks like a nice bass for metal. Kinda old school Nikki Sixx

3. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    That is probably an awkward bass, like the
    Gibson. I've heard that the preamp is one
    of those useless ones that it would be better
    without.

The B154dx and on up has a better 3 band
    EQ and I think the price is about the same. It
    also has a much more ergonomic design.

Just my thoughts. I have not owned the
    bass in question.

Tabdog

4. interesting... I'll look into the other basses..

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Have you ever considered a Brubaker Brute? They are very aggressive and powerful sounding basses at an affordable price. You could break new ground and introduce a new bass into the metal fold.

6. been looking at a nice Jackson JS3 that I used in the studio last weekend. Sounded incredible running direct...

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'll diff agree with tapdog that the esp ltd B154dx is a better bass and much more bang for buck and better playability. None of the common problems of tb style body basses. The jackson js3 dukey mentioned is also well worth a try.