1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Looking for a new Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RubberDucky, Dec 30, 2000.

1. RubberDucky

RubberDucky

Dec 6, 2000
    I'm pretty much a novice to playing Bass. I've been playing for about 6 months now, and I've been using a Ibanez Ergodyne EDB600 (4-String). It's a nice bass, especially for someone like myself who is a beginner. I wanted to use this bass to practice & learn, and eventually upgrade in the future. I have some x-tra holiday cash I was thinking about going out and getting a new bass. Sorta like a late Christmas, New Year's present to myself ;)
    I have $1,000-1,500 I can spend...
    I originally wanted to play more of a Rock style, but have been getting more interested in the Jazzier style bass playing. I was thinking maybe a Warwick Thumb (4-String)?
    I've read on here that some people think Warwicks have thick necks, and a very different sound. Of course I'm going to try the thing out first and see how it feels & sounds. I was wondering if anyone thought this would be a good choice, or would recommend anything else in my price range?

Thanks,
    Lenny

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Other basses worth checking out:

* MTD Grendel (never underestimate Czech (sp?) instruments!)
    * Czech-made Spector (ditto)
    * American Deluxe Fender Jazz (Overpriced, but if you're a Fender man, you are...)
    * Carvin LB70 (tons of options available)
    * Kinal MK4B - (sweet looking, sweet sounding)

Then we have models from MusicMan, G&L and Hamer (not to be considered "jazzy", but good instruments they are).

Look around on the used market (E-Bay has lots of goodies), with that money to spend you could find a really fantastic instrument!

3. RubberDucky

RubberDucky

Dec 6, 2000
    Hey thanks Oysterman!,
    I'm going to check those out...