Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a new Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RubberDucky, Dec 30, 2000.

1. RubberDucky

RubberDucky

Dec 6, 2000
    I'm pretty much a novice to playing Bass. I've been playing for about 6 months now, and I've been using a Ibanez Ergodyne EDB600 (4-String). It's a nice bass, especially for someone like myself who is a beginner. I wanted to use this bass to practice & learn, and eventually upgrade in the future. I have some x-tra holiday cash I was thinking about going out and getting a new bass. Sorta like a late Christmas, New Year's present to myself ;)
    I have $1,000-1,500 I can spend...
    I originally wanted to play more of a Rock style, but have been getting more interested in the Jazzier style bass playing. I was thinking maybe a Warwick Thumb (4-String)?
    I've read on here that some people think Warwicks have thick necks, and a very different sound. Of course I'm going to try the thing out first and see how it feels & sounds. I was wondering if anyone thought this would be a good choice, or would recommend anything else in my price range?

Thanks,
    Lenny

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Other basses worth checking out:

* MTD Grendel (never underestimate Czech (sp?) instruments!)
    * Czech-made Spector (ditto)
    * American Deluxe Fender Jazz (Overpriced, but if you're a Fender man, you are...)
    * Carvin LB70 (tons of options available)
    * Kinal MK4B - (sweet looking, sweet sounding)

Then we have models from MusicMan, G&L and Hamer (not to be considered "jazzy", but good instruments they are).

Look around on the used market (E-Bay has lots of goodies), with that money to spend you could find a really fantastic instrument!

3. RubberDucky

RubberDucky

Dec 6, 2000
    Hey thanks Oysterman!,
    I'm going to check those out...