Looking for a new Bridge.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j0z3r, Apr 27, 2005.

1. j0z3r

Apr 8, 2005
    Can some of you guys recommend a fairly decent bridge I could get to replace my old junker of a bridge.

I want to try and rebuild my bass with some new pickups and a new bridge.

As far as pickups go I am looking into some EMG pickups, the J bass set.

Also what should I look into as far as the other hardware goes?

Thanks in advance.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of bass is it?
  3. j0z3r

Apr 8, 2005
    Its a brand called Johnson, don't know if you have heard of it or not. Pretty much a cheapy deal, but I figured if I replaced some of the stock parts with better parts it might not be so bad. Overall it has a nice feel to it, good weight, not too light or heavy, the neck is nice and straight. Just the pickups, bridge and tuning hardware suck.
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    On a Johnson I wouldn't bother it was the biggest POS I ever had. and for the price of EMG's a pre and a good bridge you could buy a betterbass. If you have your heart set on pimpin' this one, I just recieved a bridge in the mail today that I got off ebay. It's a standard drop in 5-hole by Gotoh, (I think there's actually still one on the bay form the same guy!) It's a bit heavier, beefier and just made the bass feel more solid/sound a lil clearer (harmonics) I'd recomend it as it was also pretty cheap.
  5. j0z3r

Apr 8, 2005
    Yeah I am looking into getting a new bass. I am really liking an Ibanez I was playing at guitar center.

I was mostly curious about adding some decent hardware and electronics onto this bass, though I agree it is a POS. I made the biggest mistake possible when I bought my first bass, that was purchasing it from the web without having seen or heard it.
  6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Save your money, use the money you were going to upgrade the Johnson with, sell the Johnson, and buy a new bass. It's not worth upgrading that bass. It's like pimping out a 72 Vega.
  7. j0z3r

Apr 8, 2005
    The upgrade was more a thought than a concrete plan. I wanted some opinions from the people here if upgrading this POS would make it halfway decent.

I think I have my answer.

Maybe someday I will upgrade it for kicks and see what I get out of it, someday.

Thanks guys.