1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new 'Class D' head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mupchu, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mupchu

mupchu

Mar 18, 2011
    I currently run a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 into an Avatar SB112 (8ohm faital 12"). I like the tone, actually LOVE the tone. That said at when I let a note ring (say holding a chord) when it is decaying near the point it shuts off I get some fuzz sound. Does not come out the direct out (so never makes it to FoH) but it's annoying. Pretty sure it's not the cab as i recently refinished and resealed everything up, so my bet is on the head. Of course they are out of buisness, and I would not even know where to start to get it serviced. It's also a pretty small head to run my cab(s) (I also have a Goliath I).

To that end looking for something in the 500-600 range that is similar to the Genz . . . at least in it's transparency. I like the uncolored sound, and the fact when I move a knob a click I can hear the change in sound. My shortlist is GK mb500, tc bh550, hartke tx600. I am aware of the volume limitation on teh tx600, however don't expect to need to push amps. I generally use amp as stage monitor and if I need something more the sound engineer is beating the drummer up to play softer . . . Is there another amp I should be looking at?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    what you describe, if I heard, would point me straight at a voice coil rub on the speaker

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Is the Genz 3.0 Solid State or does it have a tube in the pre-amp as other Genz heads?
    If it does, first thing I'd check would be it's tube.
    I've heard a dying tube fuzz as your describing.

Second, it could be in the driver it's self.
    Do you have another head available to try through the cabinet?
    And, another cabinet to try with your 3.0 head?

Third, pull the driver and check if a wire maybe making contact somewhere on the back side of the cone.
    I've had that happen in P.A. sub cabinets.

If you like your Genz head I'd suggest watching the T.B. Classifieds.
    Recently there's been some great buys on used Genz 6.0's, 9.0's, ect.
    There's also been some great buys on G.K. MB-500's and MB-800's, Mesa Subway D-800's and a few 800+'s.

I'd suggest your looking at the higher powered versions (800 or more watts) of each manufacturers micro heads.
    The higher powered heads seem to have better heft to the notes, stay cleaner, and have better dependability.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Mystic Michael likes this.
  4. mupchu

mupchu

Mar 18, 2011
    Speaker in avatar is brand new (just replaced), does the same into Goliath as well.

I love the Genz but don't want to buy a used head, too many times i've been burned with someone else's problem. Genz is solid state, no tube (6.0 has the tube). Going to clean it, but not optomistic.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

If you go new, I'd still suggest going with the higher powered micros.
    There's not much difference in the price of the 500 watters and the 800 waters.
    But, to my ears, there's a difference between the two in heft and performance.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current or previous endorsements with: GK, DR Strings, Rotosound, EB, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I wouldn't rule out a speaker issue until you've verified with another amp.

To that end, @agedhorse will have some great information for you. It's said he knows a thing or two about those Genz-Benz products.... :D

7. Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    MrUsefulAlien, noahw1 and Mvilmany like this.
  8. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I've compared a bunch of Class D's at my local store. From what you wrote, I'd strongly suggest spending a couple hundred more and getting a Genzler Magellan. Hands down for you. GK is great and is what I'm playing now, but the Genzler eats its lunch in side by side comparisons.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Don't clean it, you can create a problem that is more (sometimes a lot more) expensive to repair.

No problem repairing your amp, there is a flat rate program for all Shuttle amps that's only $75 plus return shipping and covers everything except the power module (almost certainly not the problem). Note that the flat rate repair does not cover damage from a failed repair attempt, or a failed cleaning attempt because the additional work to deal with that can be significantly more than the basic repair itself. Turnaround time on repairs is 48 hours, and all parts are in stock.

Just because the brand is no longer being sold doesn't mean there isn't factory level support available for your amp.

PM me if you are interested.

10. My thoughts immediately went to the cab as well.
    Anytime I have equipment acting up, I begin by being suspect of the most recent thing I did, or the most recent change I made. I start there and work backward in the order of newest thing done/changed to oldest.
    "Pretty sure it's not the cab" for the reasons giving can seem valid to many, but as a tech it's the first place I would look.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    In this case, there are a couple of things that can cause this symptom in this amp, but only a very small number (out of the earliest build production runs) might ever experience the symptoms as (MAY BE) due to a component's aging characteristics in a sensitive detector circuit. I think I have seen maybe 5 or 6 over the entire 9 years that this production run has been out in the field, and it's something that I am equipped to test for and rectify at my R&D facility. It could be due to other things as well. If the amp was built after 10/16/2008, it's definitely not this.

MrUsefulAlien and Basically Bob like this.
  12. mupchu

mupchu

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback all!

I have to admit the Magellon looks like what I am going to want.

SteveHeissner and noahw1 like this.
  13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    OP, have you tried switching out basses, cords, rooms, ac wall outlets, etc?

14. +1 for the Genzler Magellan. I just got one last week. Sold my GBE 750 and GK 1001-RB, both amps I loved and was reluctant to let them go. But when the Genzler arrived I was not disappointed. It's got balls. I also played a Mesa Subway at one gig and it too slammed. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Basically Bob likes this.
  15. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I'm not sure that I'd call the GK MB amps "transparent". GK has a sound.

If you love the tone of your amp, get it checked out and repaired. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is, do!

16. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    There are a few shuttles currently listed on TB classifieds. Great amps.

17. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Save up, get the Magellan. Its the best Genzler design to date.

Talk to Jason at Bass strings online. I'd bet he can get you a great deal on a new Magellan.

18. Brubass

Brubass

Jul 17, 2009
    Ridgefield, CT
    I can't speak to the Genz, but I use the GK MB-500 into the Avatar SB112 all the time (both rehearsal and gigs). I love the combination, but I do bypass the pre on the GK and go straight into the effects return with my VT Bass Deluxe pedal.