1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking For A New Distortion Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Steve9842008, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Steve9842008

Steve9842008

Jul 20, 2008
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I currently just use a Korg AX3000B for compression and delay. For distortion, I was using a digitech bass driver (guitarist had it laying around). I'd like to get a good standalone pedal though, as the digitech just isn't cutting it (low end is pretty much gone).

I've looked into the DM4 and the MXR M-80.

I play in a band influenced by music like Primus, Nuclear Rabbit, M.I.R.V., etc, so I really need something that doesn't lose much low end.

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Marshall Guv'nor Plus is a favorite of mine.

3. I just use a Big Muff like a lot of guitarist do! Works great and easy to get.

4. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    Heavy Electronics El Oso. No low end loss because there is a Mix knob built in to blend your clean signal in with your dirty, and it doesn't sound like there's one signal on top of one another like other badly designed blends. The distortion is also very bass heavy but with great higher overtones.

You'll thank me later.

5. I just picked up a bass big muff after using the digitech bass driver for a few months. Pleasantly surprised by the muff, didnt realise just how much lowend I was losing with the digitech until A/Bing them.

I would recommend it to anyone, and they're readily available and cheap if you go used.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Not sure if OP is using distortion as a generic or a specific description, but since fuzz pedals are mentionned... the Swollen Pickle is a monster, ain't labeled a Jumbo Fuzz for nothing. It's also very tweakable (5 outside knobs and 2 internal pots), so you're likely to get the tone you want, depending on the gear you're using it with, of course.

7. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Despite being digital, I thought the AX3000B had a few decent distortions/fuzzes on it to be honest.

The MXR-M80 is more of a preamp than anything. I love mine and do use the distortion channel, but use it sparingly and not on very high gain settings.

The Bass Big Muff is a great start, especially on dry mode you'll find you really cut through. I only recently got rid of mine in favour of a SS/BS TAFM but for the money the BBM is a great choice.

You may like the Boss ODB-3 - I did, but a number don't. I'd try it out first if I were you, but with everything pretty much set at 12 o'clock there's a nice distortion.

8. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    I'd go with the MXR or an EHX. Two companies that make good, solid, readily available pedals. Boss is ok, but too digital for me. Of course there are boutique pedals, and they all have their own characteristics to them, just check some youtube videos out. However I must warn you; stay away from Digitech. Despite sounding extremely digital they're the only pedals that have flat quit working. 3 of them to be exact, and two of them were within two weeks of getting them.

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Source Audio Bass Multiwave Distortion Pro.

10. I have the M80 and the distortion is great if thick grind is what you're after. Personally, I find the distortion on the pedal to be too overpowering and gets really wild really quickly. Like a chainsaw ripping through the speakers haha. Sadly, I prefer a more subtle overdrive than full-blown distortion...the M80 can kinda mimic a light overdrive on lower settings but it still has the bit of grind rather than dirt.

The preamp section, on the other hand.....is sublime. Never leave home without it.

11. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    +1 on a Boss ODB-3. Lots of low end on tap with an aggressive scooped voice...love mine.

12. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Source Audio Classic Distortion - here's what you get:
    12 different distortion models
    6 presets (and ability to morph between 2 presets)
    programmable eq - excellect for setting things just right
    noise gate - adjustable and programmable per presets
    Blend - programmable per presets again
    Backpage bass EQ setting (but I actaully like the guitar eq)
    Hot Hand (gain wobbles), Midi and expression pedal inputs

I was looking at all of the pedals out there and really wasn't sure which one would work best for me, then I noticed that the Classic Distortion has models of most of the pedals I was looking at, plus I knew that I would need to eq things to get them where I wanted, and finally I needed a few different settings for different songs and I don't like twising knobs between songs. I get guitar like tube distortions to fuzz to light overdrive all from this pedal and I just added a Sansamp that has really brought this thing to life.

FYI - I didn't like the M80 distortion sound, but the preamp is very clean and flat.