1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new head + cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elavro, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Elavro

Elavro

Jul 28, 2009
    Belgium
    As I'm searching for a new amp, I read alot of threads and searched for different amps and I thought I figured it out pretty fast. A TC BH500 + BC212 cab. I like the tone, and all the features it has are great! But I'm not convinced with the whole 450/236 watt thing with the RH450/750, if they changed their marketing etc I wouldn't have minded but now it botters me.

So what i'm looking for is an amp + cab that sounds warm and is capable of overdriving. Other features like tuner, compressor are nice but not necessary. Budget is around 1000, 1200 EUR max!

Anyone has suggestions?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I made any mistakes, english is not my native language!

2. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I was looking at the same rig. The 500w is a lie an so is the 2ohm stable. It is loud enaugh, but I haven't bought it just because I hate that someone is not telling the truth. I would say get Hartke or Ampeg half stack (w 410 or 210) and a good overdrive pedal. :)

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Hello brother,

I wanted to reply but don't know what brands are available in Belgium. Maybe if you could tell us what you have available, we could give our opinions. BTW. Your English is quite good. I understand your question perfectly.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You have a respectable budjet. No recommendations other than use your money wisely.

How about the GK 1001rb?

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    why dont you get a nice overdrive pedal and see if that changes your mind on the amp? a way huge pork loin is a good choice

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Is Genz Benz available to you? If so....a NeoPak 3.5 and a NeoX212T. Or, a Shuttle6 and a 212T. Done deal.

7. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    Tube or solid state?

8. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    He has 1000eur; prices are a bit different here in EU and you can't get an all tube amp for that cash :)

9. Elavro

Elavro

Jul 28, 2009
    Belgium
    Thanks for all the ansers so far!

As for brands, well all major brands are possible: Ampeg, Markbass, Genz Benz, EBS, GK, TCE, EBS, Hartke, Orange, etc in our local GC. It think I can try out most brands in the shop, and if necessary order it.

An overdrive is an option, although I got an EBS Multidrive atm that seems to dissapear in the mix unless I crank the volume on the EBS. That's why I wanted an overdrive in the amp itself, unless this is normal behavior for overdrive/distortion? The band I play in only has 1 guitar player and I don't use the overdrive when he has overdrive/distortion on.

As for the suggestions:

Hartke seems to have a nice rep around here for customer service, so that's always a +. Although I remember I did choose a Hughes & Kettner combo over a Hartke combo when I bought my first amp.

The GK 1001rb seems like a very nice amp(too expensive though) but are GK amps capable of a warm sound? I have never played a GK before, but I thought they had a more punchy sound.

I've checked Genz Benz a lot and while I want to like them, I'm never convinced about the tone, maybe I have to hear one in real life.

I'm also checking second hand websites to see if there are any deals, but it's alot easier with the help of some experienced members here to guide me in what brand etc I need ofcourse.

10. Traynor YBA300 or YBA200 are both much less than 1000euros

11. What is up with the TC RH750?
    Is there some incorrect specs?

I have one with 2 RH212 cabs and am very happy with it so far.

12. Yup. The 750 whats they claim the head has is really 236W with compression to make it sound MUCH louder. These heads do compete with others in that wattage range, but a lot of people - myself included - don't like the fact that they admitted it was only 236 watts to TB but never changed their marketing.

13. Elavro

Elavro

Jul 28, 2009
    Belgium
    I've checked them and they are a bit too pricey if I want a cab too, but thanks for the suggestion!

14. Elavro

Elavro

Jul 28, 2009
    Belgium
    Right now I'm leaning towards a GK 700RB II or a GK MB fusion added with a GK 212 neo cab @8 ohm. Seems like these have a lot of power and a lot of tone possibilities, for some overdrive/distortion I'll probably have to go for some pedal shopping too then I guess