1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Ok, so I'm either getting an Ampeg B Series 4x10 or a SVT 4x10
    But I need a head, preferably Ampeg and around $500, I was thinking about the B2RE, but thats only 250watts at 8ohms, so it wouldn't really put out the full wattage of the cab

Any suggestions?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Get a 4 ohm cab instead.

3. I don't know alot about this stuff.. but I know what ohms are, whats an example of a 4 ohm cab?

4. I just acquired and LOVE the tone of the Peavey Classic 400. and they're very inexpensive. There is one for sale in the classifieds. And I'm comparing it to my mesa 400+.

5. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    if you really want an ampeg head for $500 new then you're pretty much stuck with the b2-re

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1

But, if you want to go used, SVT-3's go for about $500 pretty consistently on eBay.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would MUCH rather have an SVT 3 or 4 Pro than a B2RE, but the 3 Pro isn't a whole lot more wattage than the B2RE. However, it sounds MUCH better, and really, 250w is plenty for the majority of situations.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've played Ampeg SVTs for the past 20+ years...amazing amps. I've never dug their solid state stuff. Its good, but never sounds "great" IMO. If I were looking for a new amp I'd look at the Markbass amps. They have one that sells for about $600 (Little MK II)...its compact, powerful, and sounds amazing. I'll be getting one soon. If you set the EQ "flat" (12 O'clock) and just use the 2 filter knobs you can get a HUGE variety of sounds, including some really nice old school "tube-ish" sounds. With a little adjusting you can get some great modern tones as well. All in all, a VERY nice amp...and it weighs next to nothing.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Markbass/Little+Mark+II+Head/10/1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Markbass-Little-Mark-II-500W-Bass-Head?sku=481746

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. The LMII sounds more like all-tube Ampegs than any other SS amp on the market, IMHO. Would have mentioned it before if the OP hadn't said he wanted Ampeg.

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree, 100%

Actually, he said ....

Which is why I felt ok recommending the Markbass !:D

11. Can anyone answer? :crying:

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There's lots of 4 ohm 410's, as well as 212's, another good option.