Looking for a new practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blaw, Jan 23, 2001.

1. blaw

Oct 16, 2000
    I am looking for a new practice amp.... any suggestion.
    i used to have a Fender BXR25..

2. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    If you like Fender, I suggest the new Fender Bassman series (combos).
    Depending on your budget, you can choose from the Bassman 25 (10"), Bassman 60 (12" + horn), Bassman 100 (15" + horn).
    I personnally tried the Bassman 100 and it really sounded great.
  3. I too was running a Fender BXR25 for several years as a practice amp. It is, obviously, a very wimpy amp and I can hardly stand playing it in a small room. I would recommend Crate or maybe a SWR Workingman's 10" combo. Crate is cheaper, with a 12" model running around 250-300. Fender's have been getting nailed with their "boxy" sound for some time, so I would research before you buy.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I liked the Carvin combo amp. BUT only if you use it as a practice amp. I didn't like it turned up. But they have 2 models one with a 15 and one with a 10 + horn that are both under $300. They are the same amp... Just differing speaker configs. They are not too heavy either and loaded with gizmos and gagets.
  5. Peavey makes excellent practice amps. I own a Basic 112 and am delighted with it. You should check them out.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Another vote for Peavey. A Minx 110 is a pretty good practice amp and might even work in band rehearsals and low-volume gigs.

Will C.:cool:
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    This puny goomer gets my vote...

...it's the "li'l lanilei" ALL TUBE bass amp: 8" x 8" x 10"

I think it runs between $400 > $500, new. I emailed the company a few
    days ago with some questions (line out & cost?) and haven't got a response.

33 all-tube watts through a 6.5" speaker? :eek: I'm thinkin' angry-baby-Rhino tone :p

( http://www.songworks.com/bassamp.htm )
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

9. darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I have the Danelectro Nifty Seventy. It lists for $149. It sounds great, it's cheep, and it's cool looking.
  10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Thanx for `da tip `dere wise guy :p .

But if I actually have to wear clothes while I'm practisin' :eek:, I gotta' get `em here...

HO-HO-HOooo. Yes. It is I. LARGE MAN ! :oops: I enjoy paying twice retail
    for my clothes and triple for my shoes. AH-AH-AH...oy! :rolleyes: .

Interesting sidebar: According to a special on the History Channel `round Halloween,
    that wacky Viking offshoot "The Berserkers" took their name from the bear-skins or
    "bear-shirts" they donned. They thought it made them invincible in battle or somethin'.

...Hey Smokey! Just where do ya' think you're goin?!? :mad: :p