1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blaw, Jan 23, 2001.

1. blaw

blaw

Oct 16, 2000
    I am looking for a new practice amp.... any suggestion.
    i used to have a Fender BXR25..

thanks..

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    If you like Fender, I suggest the new Fender Bassman series (combos).
    Depending on your budget, you can choose from the Bassman 25 (10"), Bassman 60 (12" + horn), Bassman 100 (15" + horn).
    I personnally tried the Bassman 100 and it really sounded great.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  4. I too was running a Fender BXR25 for several years as a practice amp. It is, obviously, a very wimpy amp and I can hardly stand playing it in a small room. I would recommend Crate or maybe a SWR Workingman's 10" combo. Crate is cheaper, with a 12" model running around 250-300. Fender's have been getting nailed with their "boxy" sound for some time, so I would research before you buy.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I liked the Carvin combo amp. BUT only if you use it as a practice amp. I didn't like it turned up. But they have 2 models one with a 15 and one with a 10 + horn that are both under $300. They are the same amp... Just differing speaker configs. They are not too heavy either and loaded with gizmos and gagets.

6. Peavey makes excellent practice amps. I own a Basic 112 and am delighted with it. You should check them out.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Another vote for Peavey. A Minx 110 is a pretty good practice amp and might even work in band rehearsals and low-volume gigs.

Will C.:cool:

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

...it's the "li'l lanilei" ALL TUBE bass amp: 8" x 8" x 10"

I think it runs between $400 > $500, new. I emailed the company a few
    days ago with some questions (line out & cost?) and haven't got a response.

33 all-tube watts through a 6.5" speaker? :eek: I'm thinkin' angry-baby-Rhino tone :p

( http://www.songworks.com/bassamp.htm )

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

10. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I have the Danelectro Nifty Seventy. It lists for $149. It sounds great, it's cheep, and it's cool looking.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

But if I actually have to wear clothes while I'm practisin' :eek:, I gotta' get `em here...
    http://www.reppbigandtall.com/profiles/item_by_no.asp?T1=81373+BLAC+LT&UID=2001012516251952

HO-HO-HOooo. Yes. It is I. LARGE MAN ! :oops: I enjoy paying twice retail
    for my clothes and triple for my shoes. AH-AH-AH...oy! :rolleyes: .

Interesting sidebar: According to a special on the History Channel `round Halloween,
    that wacky Viking offshoot "The Berserkers" took their name from the bear-skins or
    "bear-shirts" they donned. They thought it made them invincible in battle or somethin'.

...Hey Smokey! Just where do ya' think you're goin?!? :mad: :p