1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a new practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chato, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    id like to keep it like 250-300ish, i play alot of punk rock, rock, that style of stuff. ive been looking at the ampeg micro-cl ive heard it has an overdriven type of sound which i think is awesome. ive seen them go used for 250. and they look cool as hell. might do some light jamming, i figure 100 watts should be fine for that. not planning on playing death metal or anything. ampeg pf350 might work with a cheap budget 210 cab also. both would end up being around $350. used vs a new ampeg micro-cl. like i said i like a gritty overdrive sound like the classic punk rock guys..freeman, dirnt, hoppus, etc. thanks in advance.

TheBASSMAN98 likes this.
  2. If you havn't checked out the Fender Rumble 100, V3 series, I think new, street price is around $300, used is also a good option.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would do the PF350 with a cab. But I'd rather buy used than get a cheap cab. You don't have to get the most expensive cab on the market, but there are some budget cabs that are just plain garbage. Fortunately, though, you're looking at Ampeg and Ampeg's budget cabs are quite good :D

4. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    yeah i didnt really wanna spend more on the cab than the head haha. i see the pf350 for $200 used and the cabs are like $225 and up. there some hartke cabs like $125. is the pf350 and ampeg cab worth spenindg 150 more than the mirco-cl?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Absolutely. The Micro CL is pretty decent, but it's not at the level of the PF350 and a decent 210. And I'm of the belief that a crap bass + crap amp + great speaker = great sound, while a great bass + great amp + crap cab = crap sound.

lomo, Al Kraft and basscooker like this.
  6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    That.
    Doesn't matter what you have in the chain before the cab. If the cab sucks everything else is out the window. You would be better suited in almost every situation to spend more on the cab than amp.

lomo, AlexanderB and Al Kraft like this.
  7. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    ah makes sense, i have to get a bass too, i got into some finacial struggle had to sell my rig, nothing amazing, tax time coming and i can now start over.

8. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    I've noticed svt pro 3s go pretty cheap. What's the deal with those?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Very nice heads. Used to have one myself.

10. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    How is it compared to the pf350/500

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Definitely a different vibe than the micros but well within the Ampeg realm. I find that traditional SS power amps are tighter and cleaner, whereas the micro power sections have a sound that reminds me of a tube amp being slightly pushed hard, not distortion but a slight amount of sag, for lack of a better word. The 3 Pro will cop that vibe somewhat if you turn the tube gain more to the tube side, but it's still a different vibe. I have a hard time putting the differences into words, but that's the best I can do at 1 in the morning :D

12. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    I'm into that classic svt sound, mainly punk rock, deciding is half the battle

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well they'll all cop that vibe, although none of them are quite like a real SVT tube amp.

14. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    Is a pro 3 a real tube amp? That's my question.

15. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Another vote for the Fender Rumble V3 100, I use mine for rehearsals but I'm half tempted to try it on a small gig sometime with my semi loud rock cover band,, the Rumble 100 is that good,,, and very light and loud as well.

But the BEST small practice combo is the GK MB112, I also own that as well, the GK MB112 can definitely do a smaller size gig.

Cheers, Davyo

TheBASSMAN98 likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, it's a hybrid. Tubes in the preamp and driver section, MOSFETs in the power section.

17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I'm looking at these two amps (rumble 100 & mb112). Would you say that the GK is significantly louder?

18. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    I've been looking into markbass as well, played one fell in love with the sound.

19. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    My tax return is coming tomorrow, I've decided on a ampeg micro cl. Figure that will be a nice practice amp for a beginner for the style of music I like.

20. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I found a Micro Cl set for $225. I have to get it.

JimmyM likes this.