1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a new practice and jam amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, May 15, 2011.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So in about a month or two I'll be looking to get a small practice amp. Really just for jamming along to the stereo at home and stuff. Its gotta be small and relatively light as I plan on carrying this around on subway trains and buses. I don't plan on keeping up with a drummer with this, but a few guitars (acoustic and electrics) would be nice.

The problem I find with many practice amps is that they sound like ****. I guess thats my main requirement: that it doesn't sound like ****. My budget is going to be around 300$ but preferably less. I play P-basses with flats and rounds and a jazz bass every now and then.

I really like the Roland Bass Cube 30. It sounded pretty nice when I tried out my friend's. The Roland portable bass rx cube looks pretty cool, and it can run on batteries: perfect for a jam in the park. I've never played one though, thoughts?

I've also tried out the orange 1x8 combo which sounds like crap to me. And I tried out the Acoustic B20 which I don't remember being a fan of.

RECOMMEND ME SOME AMPS!

2. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Around $300 - GK MB or Carvin MB.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It sounds like for your purposes, the Roland RX is as good choice. Roland did a great job on this little portable amp.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Oh yeah, and I'd like to say that I need this less than 30lbs. The lighter the better.

5. tsunami1052

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    Sorry. GK & Carvin would be a pain to pack around on the subway. I tried the Micro Cube RX once and it is not very loud (bedroom levels only) and sounded very thin and tinny to me

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Hey the GKMB1x12 is less than 30lbs and is in my price range! :D

7. tsunami1052

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    If you can - try before you buy.

8. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Carvin MB or KB Mb112 or mB115.

9. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Honestly, I'd say to give the B20 another shot. I can't believe how great that thing sounds and is the perfect amp for what you're describing (IMO). FWIW, the settings I used were with the low maxed, the low mid maxed, the high mid at about 3:00 and the treble about 3:00. Sounded huge and aggressive.

-JV

10. I picked up one of these and they have a surprisingly rich tone.
    I have a bigger rig for gigging but I'll probably be using this for most of my band jams too. Seems loud enough to keep up with most drummers.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Yeah I'm not really looking for a gigging rig, or a rig to keep up with a drummer. I already have a B15, B18, B25, and an Aguilar 500. Most of my amp needs are covered except I don't want to be wheeling around a tube amp through the NYC subways, buses, and the Staten Island Ferry.