Looking for a new pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjamn, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Looking for something the complete opposite of a Alembic-F1x. This pre-amp sounds great, and I currently use it with a jam band.
    I just need something that would fit in a Metal band, with a good EQ section and probably a bit more hi-fi. Possibly a sansamp rbi, BBE or Ampeg is what I am leaning towards, Suggestions please? :eyebrow:
  2. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never heard the Alembic, but the SWR Interstellar Overdrive is a great preamp that I think would do well in a metal band. The RBI and Trace V-Type are also great choices.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  4. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    yeah that one's lookin like a winner, Might have to look into it more.

5. you might consider looking into the Trace Elliot V-type or GPX12. the V-type will have the more classic tube sound and the GPX is the more classic trace tone.
  6. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I would recommend the GP series Trace pre over the V-type for your application (the V-type preamp is definitely of the same school as the Alembic with a little more flexibility in the midrange due to a contour push-pull).

Looks like a BBE, Ampeg SVP, or an Eden Navigator would be great choices for what you are wanting.

good luck
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I wouldn't recomend Ampeg, as that's not really 'hi-fi' sounding.

I'd say a Trace Elliot, Eden Nav or BBE would be your best luck. Try to try em all out and see what you think.

Good luck!
  8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Opposite of Alembic?

SWR Interstellar OD or Sansamp RBI. Rawk!!! :bassist: