Looking for a new preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovintoit, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Groovintoit

May 28, 2003
    I'm hoping I could get a few suggestions for preamps to check out. Its time for me to start looking but I don't have too many music stores that carry quality preamps to play through and listen. I'm currently playing on a peavey Cirrus 5 string and a 72 Fender J. I play funk, soul, R&B, and Gospel, and I am looking for a really clean, punchy, wet sounding preamp. Does anybody have any suggestions?
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The Read Custom Purity, an Alembic F1-X, or the Demeter VTBP201S or HBP-1 preamps would all be great choices IMHO.

3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Not quite sure what you mean by "wet".
  4. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I'm a huge fan of the avalon u5, which is simple but always sounds sweet and solid. And I like flatwounds and an old school sound
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The new Fender TBP-1 might be what you're looking for if my interpretation of funk / soul / R&B / gospel is the same as yours. It would add a bit of vintage "ying" to the modern Cirrus "yang".
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm still waiting to hear what this means, too. In my mind, I can't see how "clean" "punchy" and "wet" would be mutually compatible.

7. Groovintoit

May 28, 2003
    Well to me, when I play on older SWR gear, I get a "wet" sound when I slap and pop on my cirrus. I guess its hard to explain "wet" but I'm basically looking for killer slap tone
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gotcha. Well, if you haven't already, I would check out the preamp clips at Basstasters. These should give you a general idea to start from.

For starters, though, I would think that either the Alembic F-1X or Demeter VTBP-201s might float your boat. Two different sounds, but one or the other might float your bill. Or, you could just go with a real clean sounding tube pre, like the DB 680 or Read Purity, and tweak to your liking.

9. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    bass preamp = Alembic
  10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    So your 'wet' is what I call SWR's 'silky sheen'? I've generally applied that to SWR's cabs tho.
  11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    clean and punchy, good for slap i would recommend the demeter vtbp-201s or the DB 680. those are the pres i have experience with. the demeter sounds has limited features but great clean tone. the DB 680 is superior IMO. ah i love that pre! :D
  12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    After listening to both the DB and Demeter, I went with the VTBP. Had more of what I wanted, in that of a great, clean, full sound. However, it's pretty dang transparent. If you throw an average-sounding bass at it, it's gonna give you just that in return. My main basses right now aren't all that HQ, so as soon as I get a Spector or maybe a Modulus, it'll sound even 10 times better, which is pretty scary, IMO! :D