1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new rig. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dillertime06, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Dillertime06

Dillertime06

Jul 18, 2012
    Hey everybody,

I'm new to the site and looking for suggestions on a new rig because my current setup is half blown and figured it wouldn't be worth the money to have it fixed.

Here's some info on the music I play and equipment I have:

Music Genre: Rock/Alternative/Reggae
    Gigs: 1-3 shows/month
    Venues: Small-Medium sized clubs, and lots of outdoor stuff
    Basses: Fender Jazz 4 string, Brubaker Brute 5-string
    Previous Setup: GK Backline 600 amp (300 watt, 4 Ohms), GK GLX 410 cab (400 watt, 8 Ohms)

I have a budget of about $800-$900, any suggestions?

Thank you

2. Find a Peavey "Mark" head and as much cab as you can with what ever is left of your budget, 410, 215, two 410's, 810, two 212's, or bass specific 412. Out doors will suck a lot of sound, even if you are only using your rig as a stage monitor it will take a bit to hear yourself.

3. Ampeg PF500 and a SVT-610HLF. Both used should be in your budget. The 610 is 4 ohm to maximize all the power of the head.

4. Ampeg PF-500 and two neo 4x10's. That would probably run you about $1,200 new. You could get by with less if not for the outdoor gigs. Most people say you should get two similar cabinets; mixing sizes can be hit or miss.

Edit -- the 610 would be fine too, if you don't mind hauling around a big heavy cabinet.

5. Some 410's are heavier than some 610's or 810's. Some 215's are lighter than some 212's...

Personally I find tilt back cabs easier to move than a 410.

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

Buy another (used) GLX 410 cab. buy an old 800RB (used).

You should be able to buy both of these for under $800.

Use the 800RB with 1 cab for the smaller venues & use BOTH cabs for larger / outdoor venues.

:D

7. as a former owner of the 610HLF I can confirm that it is pretty heavy but is manageable and fits in the backseat of my mid-size sedan. Got rid of mine just because at the time I preferred the Berg NV610 and had no need for 2 semi-big cabs.

8. Dillertime06

Dillertime06

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I hit up guitar center to play with ampeg 410hlf. Thought that sounded great with my current amp. I was also looking at the GK 410 neos. What's the word on the street about those. Are the lightweight cabs as quality sounding and dependable as heavier models?

The Ampeg 610 hlf looks a little out of my price range, but the specs say it's only 5 lbs heavier that the 410 hlf, which still makes it appealing. Would it be worth paying the extra $200+ for the 610 hlf?

Thanks!