1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a new small amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dean owens, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i'll try to introduce myself, ask for help, and keep it short all in one post.

time playing: i was 12.
    influences: started off as a heavy metal kid (metallica, megadeath, skid row, etc.)
    14-15 went through a southern rock/country phase.
    by college it was dave matthews and bela fleck and the flecktones (victor wooten).
    gear: i have a cheap 5 string hammer slammer bass and for years i've been using a GK 200 rcb into a 1x15 peavey blackwidow loaded into a traynor cab. it ain't pretty but it has worked and sounds great to my ears.

because of marriage, two kids and a job i pretty much just play in church. and i get "out" maybe 2-3 times a year and these are just about 100-200 people.

well, here's the help i need. my gk head has gone south. no matter the volume or note it has a reverse fade. i love the tone but i've been wanting something that would take up less space for years. i figured that would come in the form of a new cab. but now i wonder if i'm not just looking for a whole new rig.

i was originally thinking about a 2x10 gk combo. but on here i've seen talk of the genz benz shuttles and other small combos. i'm really interested in the size and price of the 1x8 shuttle. but i like low end. i like my bass to rumble and be felt with a little top end to be heard. i'm wondering if an 8 or a 10 can pull that off. and how does a genz benz compare in tone to a gk?

should i just keep looking at getting a gk if i really like the tone? or are some of these smaller amps actually good sounding? thanks for your help.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    See my sig. I often have to turn down the bass on my Shuttle. I highly recommend them.

3. ingenius

ingenius

Mar 9, 2008
    Have a look at the Mark bass Combos they sound amazing and are easy to carry
    regards
    Keith M

4. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Try getting the head fixed. It could be something minor.

G-K rules! If it's an older U.S.-made amp it should last for decades.

5. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    trust me. i love my gk. but even if my head were working, i would need to find a smaller cab. we have limited space in my house, two kids and i play guitar as well. guitar and bass equipment starts to over run the house.

i'm not opposed to a new gk set up. i just want small, good sounding and relatively cheap. i wouldn't mind a little 2x10 gk cab and a new gk head. but if the genz benz sounds as good as others have made it out to be. that's hard to pass up the compactedness of that amp.

6. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    If you got the bux then the Genz Benz Shuttle would fit the bill.

7. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i'm definitely going to have to go and check one out. it'd be nice the the 3.0x8t would sound like that. that much smaller, lighter and sound good. we'll see.

i still have dreams of a gk but not ever dream can come true.

just curious what y'all's thoughts are one the paul jones amps. love the size of the briefcase but i can't imagine that it's going to sound great and do what i will need it to do.

well, thanks guys. if you have any other suggestions let me know. otherwise i'll let you know how it turns out.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a GK MB150S combo that does all that for me. It's light (26 lbs) and small and sounds great. It puts out 150 watts into 4 ohms (100 watts into the internal 8 ohm 12" speaker) It's not a hugely loud amp but will play surprisingly loud for its tiny size. It gives me the same GK sound I got from my GK400RB but just at a reduced volume. It'll handle an 8 ohm extension cabinet. The matching GK cabinet weighs 16 lbs and is the same size as the combo. I can't imagine anything smaller and lighter that I'd use. There are others that are small and loud but to me the tone suffers unless you want a clean, sterile sound. I've tried a lot of them and while some come close, none can get as warm a sound. The downside with the GK MB150S is the price-about $800 here in Canada. I imagine you could do much better from someone like RMC Audio in the States.