looking for a new tube in my xs400h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by storm10, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Well ive decieded i wanna try a new tube in my amp and im new to all of this and i have no idea where to start. so my first question is are all tubes universal as in will any tube work with my amp. what do you all recommend im looking for a "meatier" sound and the stock tube is a sovtek 12AX7A. Also how hard is it to replace one do i just pull it out or is there any soldering involved?

thanks in advance
  2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I've personally tried and liked the ECC83S tube...I just put a Groove Tube brand in my XS800H not too long ago.

You'll need a Philips screwdriver...latex gloves...It's pretty simple, you remove the top of the amp, and then there's another screw you have to remove to enable removal of the tube...can't remember whether it's a board or a holder that keeps it in place...but it's a fun little project...

...the ECC83S gave me a meatier low end, and more gain as well...extremely pleased with the results!
  3. JJ/Tesla ECC83's...or
    NOS JAN 7025's

Both very nice choices.