1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a P/J wiring schematic.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phillipmorephil, Apr 8, 2009.

1. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Looking for a vol, 4pos rotary switch (P, PJ in series, PJ in parallel, J soloed), tone aka Dingwall Super PJ 4str.

sjangle4.

Does anyone have anything remotely similar? I'm re-vamping my ol' '76 Ibanez PJ.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    I believe what I'm looking for is a stacked vol/tone for each pickup, and aforementioned 4-way switch. I think that would give me more versatility. I've looked around this forum and can't find what I'm looking for. I understand that my preferred setup (as described here) is very similar to the Les Paul layout, with the only difference being the series/parallel switch in the 4-way. Can anyone help me, oh please?

also, I'm putting in the Bill Lawrence P-46 and J-45, which I believe have three wires instead of the usual two. Would it be easiest just to ask Bill what to do in this regard?

Thanks,
    Phil

3. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i need to get my eyes checked.
    mc-escher-waterfall.

5. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks!!

I don't really get the other guy's diagram, but this one makes more sense. Will it do the same thing, or do I have some studying to do? Also, again, would it make sense just to ask Bill Lawrence about how to do it all? I'm sure he'd be helpful.

Thanks,
    Phil

6. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Bump?

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I haven't traced through your diagram, but I used a 4 position 3 pole switch. You are using poles on that 4 pole switch.

My switch is a variation of the one used in the Gibson Ripper bass, except they had an out of phase position instead of the neck solo. The used a 4 position 3 pole switch.

I hand drew that 24 years ago, but the basic idea is that the three poles of the switch are marked A, B, and C.

The hot on the neck pickup (F.B. = fingerboard pickup) goes to the wiper A, the pickup marked "BR" is bridge. It connects to the 1st position on poles two and three.

The wiper on B is the hot and C is the ground.

I'm not sure it can be done on a 2 pole switch, but as I said I didn't trace through your schematic. One problem I see is you have the neck hot always attached to the output, but then you lift the ground end? You should leave the ground connected the lift the hot. You might get some noise the other way.

I'll have to redraw this one of these days. I had it installed on a P/J bass back in '85.

I'll be offering this wired up at some point.