1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a particular kind of pizz/arco combo for an extension...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by PlayItAway, Apr 20, 2018.

1. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    Hey all,

I'm getting an extension put on my double bass soon, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of string to order for it. My bass is only a few years old, and it's very sensitive under the bow with a rounded tone - something like an old Italian or English bass. It really needs low-tension strings to shine.

I play a good mix of pizz and arco, so getting something good for both is vital.

The strings I have right now are a special sample of strings that Thomastik sent me (PM me for full details). Basically, they're very low tension, they pluck like Spirocores, and bow like Belcantos. The only thing is I don't have the E string on right now, because for some reason it just didn't measure up to the rest of the set; it's the heaviest-gauge steel E I've ever seen, and it just sounds too dull and thumpy. So I have a Spirocore E on it right now, and it matches the top three strings with pizz, but I really don't like how it bows.

What I was thinking for the extension was to get a solo-gauge Spiro F# and tune it down; I know this has been suggested on forums before, and it makes sense. There are some occasions where I tune the regular Spiro E to drop D, and I'm always amazed by how much better it bows down there. This proposed tuned-down F# will probably feel lower tension compared to the other three strings, but if it has the same Ron Carter growl factor then I'm ok with that. No way to know that for sure, though.

I don't like Evah Pirazzis... I dig their more old-school tone for pizz, but the slow arco response has always rubbed me the wrong way. And besides, it's too high tension and not enough sustain for what I'm going for here. Obbligatos might be cool, though it's been a while since I've had any so my memory is fuzzy. I seem to recall they were somewhere between Evahs and Spiros in terms of thump vs. sustain. But of course, since it'll be the lowest string on a bass with very mwah-y strings, sustain would be more important than thump.

Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks :)

2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I’m using a Zyex medium for my extention. After it settles down a bit, it responds quite nicely under the bow and the pizz response is good.

3. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Wait a second...new Thomastik bass strings? "Low tension...pluck like Spirocores...bow like Belcantos"?

- Steve

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I WANT AHHHHHH...ok I'm done.

The 3rd chair in the LPO uses a zyex light under belcanto adg. Sounds good but he's moving to a Spiro soon

Scott Lynch and Steve Boisen like this.
  5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'll be getting an extension this August and I'll be putting a Spirocore on there. It's the best for both

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, please!

7. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Second piece of news getting me giddy today! I hope they are planning to release the hybrid string to end all hybrid strings.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  8. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

I just put a light gauge Heliocore hybrid C-ext string and am very happy with it.

9. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Have you tried Spiro Weichs? They are different enough from the Mittels to be worth a shot. I’ve been around the block a couple of times in the past year trying to find something that works for me. As I learn their nuances Weichs are really becoming the compromise pizz/arco string I’ve been looking for.

dhm and Selim like this.
  10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Samesies. They are actually a very good arco string on my bass and work well for virtually everything once they are broken in.

dhm likes this.
  11. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Sorry to burst the bubbles, but no sign of it being released anytime soon... every time I try to bug them about it, they just say it's still in R&D. No idea when - or even if - they want to release them.
    I'll have to think about those other strings some more and look at reviews as well.

12. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Have you given the company feedback regarding your experience with the playing qualities of the E string? When they start production, I will definitely check them out.

13. This is a prank certainly. Engineered by avid gut players (like myself).

14. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    I have given them feedback, yes. My last correspondence with them was in December, they said it's still in R&D.

Man, I must have already gotten like 10 PM's asking about these strings. I'll try to answer them all as best as I can. There was never any request to keep it private, so as far as I'm aware I haven't made a mistake by posting about them on a public forum.

15. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    Just a note: I got to try somebody's bass that had some tuned-down solo Spiros in the bottom two, and Olives on top. I believe it was a Schnitzer. It was just set up for jazz playing but I was really impressed with how those solo Spiros bowed. Seriously thinking about it now...