Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a pedal to replace my Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dawgawd, Oct 28, 2003.

1. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    I recently joined a new band in which i feel I could tastefully apply some distortion. the other day I brought my Big Muff to practice, and while it sounded awesome, it proved too unreliable to make it through even just a practice before experiencing some of the problems this thing has plagued me with for years (both the input and output jacks short in and out / sometimes i lose my clean channel while my distortion works fine, etc). because i love the sound I get from this thing, I was thinking about buying a replacement, but I figured I'd ask around and see what else is out there while I'm at it.

one of the problems i have with my big muff in addition to those listed is that it's very loud, that is to say that it buzzes really loud. is this TYPICAL of big muffs or could it reflect some kind of problem with mine in particular? do big muffs in general suffer from the same kind of problems mine does, or did i just get a lemon?

what pedals out there offer the same type of distortion?

does anyone know how i might be able to emulate the sound of the distorted bass on Ben Folds Five Whatever and Ever amen for example? I've always been impressed by his sound (not to mention his playing).

thanks in advance for your help.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    dawgawd, Big Muffs generally aren't too loud, did you buy new or used? Do you have the Ruskie or the American Reissue?

What exactly is wrong with the pedal? Just the input and output jacks? Are you running with a 9V battery or a 9V adapter? I've been tweaking and repairing Big Muffs for some time, I may be able to fix it for you. Let me know.

3. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    my pedal is the russian made version. i bought it new about 3 years ago. granted, i've put it through some crap in those years.

a while ago, i can't remember how long, the pedal started cutting through my batteries really quickly. I theorized a bunch of potential reasons for this and attempted to fix them all to no avail before eventually deciding that i didn't know why it was doing that. seeing as I couldn't afford to keep myself in batteries at that rate, I made the thing compatable with a nine volt power adapter (the pedal had no place to plug it in beforehand, i had my electrically competant dad help me with that modification).

the buzz, to the best of my recolection, existed for as long as I've had the pedal (discounting the theory that I caused it with my whacky modification). it sounds like a problem with grounding, but I'm not sure how to fix it. it's nothing overwealming, just slightly annoying if i'm playing solo (it's not really audible over my own playing and that of the band combined)

while the input and output jacks are a persistant and annoying problem, they are self-servicable once I get back home to where the tools are (i'm a college student). the REAL problem is this:

i'll plug in the pedal, i'll play clean for a while, it'll work fine, i'll turn on distortion, it'll work fine, then when i shut off the distortion, my clean will either be extremely quiet, or i'll lose the signal entirely until i turn the distortion back on again.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Open the back, look for loose solder connectiosn. Sounds like either that or a shotty switch. While you're at it, may want to look into replacing the jacks with Switchcrafts as well.