Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xHarperx, Apr 14, 2004.

1. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    hey, I'm looking at getting a new pre amp, the ones I'm looking at are the ampeg svp-cl and the svp-pro, I'm looking for something that is tube and has a balanced direct out, any ideas?

2. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    The BMax-T from BBE seems to be getting a lot of raves from people around here.

3. Aguilar DB659, DB680, Eden Navigator WP-100, Read preamp, SWR Interstellar overdrive, Warwick Quadruplet, the list goes on and on. Demeter......

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Don't forget the SansAmp RBI...

5. My new, and now all time favorite preamp... the Jack Read "Purity".

AWESOME!!!!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have an Aggie DB 659..........I'm thoroughly "underwhelmed" for a preamp that costs a grand --- street price. I can't use it without my SABDDI to get a nutbuster sound.

The problem isn't isn't my power amp or speakers --- they're top-notch.

Then again, the DB 659 only has two 12AX7's.

I'm aiming to get a Jack Read Bass Purity. Those owners are going absolutely crazy over theirs.

7. :hyper: :bassist: I'm crazy!! Absolutely AWESOME!!!

8. I have an Aguilar DB 659, and I couldn't be happier with it. You It's got lots of warmth, but it's still very clean, and in my opnion, lets the characterof an instrument shine through every but as much as one of those "hi fi" amps.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree. In some ways, I prefer the 659 over the Demeter 201S which I also own. The Aguilar has a better low-end and does the old-school sound better. I did have some problems with its output level initially, however, when coupled with a QSC PLX 1602. It became a non-issue when I mated it with a Stewart World 1.6.

10. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    The SWR Interstellar overdrive is a wonderful preamp!

You can overdrive its tubes, and blend in just as much of that tube signal as you wish, so you always keep a clean sound in there to avoid excessive mud if distorted out too much.
    The overdriven sound is voiced in a very musical way. You get anything from a mild"fart" (like a all tube ampeg grinding away "clean sound") to an over the top feedback howling metal sound.
    Thing to remember whenever you dial in any distortion is to shut off any horn or tweeter.
    Overdriven bass never works with hi-fi tweeters....

I love my stella!

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Boogie, what's the deal with that? I have a DB659 and a QSCPLX1602 and I notice the output is somewhat lackluster. Care to inform me as to why it is like that. I have it bridged mono too...maybe I haven't played with it enough, however, if there is a quick and easy solution, please let me know.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    xHarperx,

while all the pre's mentioned by everyone are great in their one way, you mentioned ampeg and if that's the sound you want, the only way to get it is with ampeg. Therefore, I would suggest the SVP-CL (haven't used it, but I would buy it if I was shopping right now)

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Man...you guys are KILLIN' me with all this talk about the Purity! Mine won't arrive for possibly 3 more weeks!!!!!:(

For those not in the know, I've ordered a Read Purity and a Stewart 2.1. I'm also picking up an Epifani 4x10 UL.

Currently, my rig consists of unamplified air. Soon, it'll consist of me gettin' kicked out of my condo, walls blown to smithereens!!!!:D

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

DITTO

15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Read Purity all the way!!!, I love mine...and those of you that are waiting for your orders won't be dissapointed. I'll post a review as soon as I can take a few pics. :bassist:

keep groooovin'
    Fran :hyper: with my new preamp

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Bro, According to a reliable, educated, annonymous source QSC amps need more input than their spec-sheets state, which I believe is 1.7 volts rms, to get the needed amount of gain from their amps.

Case in point: I had the same problems years back using QSC amps with my Alembic F-1X. I could'nt get enough output. I thought it was the preamp and sold it-Doh!!! :mad: I bought a PLX-2402 last year and I tried many different preamps and I started to notice the same output problem. I settled with an SWR I.O.D. pre, but I had to crank both gains to get adequate stage volume. Cranking the I.O.D's "Drive" control resulted in distortion which isn't the type of tone I need for the bands I presently play in. When I received my Read Custom Purity pre I again had output problems. I explained this to Jack. He had me ship my Purity back to him. He promptly made an adjustment to boost the preamp's output and installed a variable output pot on my preamp so I could match it's output to different brands of power amps. HUGE difference in output when this was done. :) Get in touch with Bob Lee/QSC on the forum. He gave me some info on some units that will easily boost your preamp's output that I've unfortunately lost.

-A. Poon

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

My Good Brother. Always giving me advice on all the important stuff in life. Ya know, which classes to take in High School, Why hair was growing in funny places, where babies come from, and of course why the output on my QSC amp isn't what it should be. I don't think I would have grown up to be the Poon I am without this guy. :crying: I'm getting faclempt...talks amongst yourselves...I'll give you a topic...
    Rhode Island is neither a Road nor an Island. Discuss

oh, thanks again for the help guys.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    How do you have the gain controls set?

The PLX 1602, at maximum gain, requires just over 1 volt in to put out full power. That's not much--even consumer CD players can usually do it--but some preamps cannot.

If the preamp cannot reach the amp's input sensitivity voltage, then there are a few options. One is modifying the preamp to put out a higher output voltage; that may be possible but not practical. Another is modifying the power amp; that is definitely possible and may be practical. Either of these solutions may harm the resale value, though, by making the product more specialized and thus appealing only to a narrower market. A third solution is to add a simple gain box between the preamp and the power amp to boost the signal (one source that I've recommended is Radio Design Labs ).

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Educated, maybe, but not well informed. ;)

The input sensitivity voltages on our spec sheets are all accurate. Keep in mind that they are applicable only at full gain, so if you dial the gain down, you have to scale up the input voltage accordingly (which often is a good idea anyway).

20. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Such as what RDL product?