Looking for a program

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I don;t even know if a program like this exists, but im looking for a program that will sort out the bass and guitar from songs and tell me what notes they are or make tab with them. Is there anything somewhat close to this anywhere?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, there isn't. It simply can't be done.
    The closest thing you'd find are apps that claim to remove vocals from songs or turn wav files into midi files. All apps in both categories fail to do that under real-world circumstances.
    The karaoke apps simply try to filter out the vocals by tricks like phase inversion, thus deleting the frequencies placed in the center of the stereo signal (which is the most common place for vocals in a stereo mix).
    Wav-to-MIDI apps try to get the pitch of a sound signal and convert it into a MIDI command, similar to a pitch-shifter or a MIDI converter/pickup. But that doesn't get you the information WHAT instrument plays it, etc. Those apps only work with monophonic signals, and even then they don't work well.

I'm sorry. You'll just have to rely on your ear.
    What you CAN do, though, is time-stretching the signal (slow it down while keeping the pitch as it is, as opposed to running a tape at halfspeed, which would also make the pitch drop an octave).
    Almost any audio editor can to it.
    Steinberg's Wavelab, Sonic Foundry's Soundforge and Prosoniq's TimeFactory can do it very well, but are high-priced pro applications. But I think CoolEdit and Goldwave can do it as well.
  3. armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    you always can try powertab editor
    it wont do wavs or cd
    but if u get the midi of the file somewhere u can use that to converti it into standard notation or a tab whatevers ure liking