1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a rack preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fastplant, Oct 22, 2013.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just bought a new set up a few months ago and I'm already on the prowl again. I thought my quest was over but it's just not cutting it. I seem to either be able to get the tone I want or the wattage I want, but rarely both (without spending a ton or lugging around extra cabs). So I've decided to go rack pre and a power amp. I used to have an SVT3-Pro and I liked the tone but it was lacking in the power dept. I know I could just get a SVT7-Pro or something along those lines, but I like the idea of having a 2 channel power amp for separate control of each side so that I can run different configurations of cabs.

So I'm looking at the SVP-Pro, but they're hard to find since they don't make them anymore. My question to you all is what other rack pre's should I look at?

2. Sansamp stuff would be worth a shot. Try the PSA and RBI pre's.

3. And I know it isn't rackmount, but the Darkglass B7K will NOT dissapoint. I believe they are also making a rackmount VT bass now.

I have no experience with the Alembic F1-X but I hear it's great. BBE also makes some promising stuff.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, I totally forgot about the RBI. I was looking at that a long time ago and it seemed interesting. Thanks!

5. No prob man:bassist:

6. Last but not least, I remember SWR making some kind of rack pre.

7. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Theres a few SVP pre's on ebay. I was just looking at them as well.

8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    whats your current rig ?

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I nominate the Sansamp RPM. I love mine!

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
  11. It's 'old school' and no longer in production, but I LOVE my reissue FURMAN PQE-3.

Solid-State

3 bands -fully parametric EQ..OR.. really loud pre-amp.

1/4 inch plugs and is rack mount.

You can find them on auction sites for under $300.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SVT II P is a great preamp and you can probably get one for cheap. I owned one for a while and it definitely does the Ampeg thing.

13. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I was in search for a tube rackmounted Pre and found the Verellen Meatsmoke. FWIW- I really dig it. Footswitchable, two channel deal, with separate High/low gain channel and EQ section for each. Might be Your thing, might not.

Stack5_zpsf396dcc5.

14. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    If you get a chance on a Raven Labs USIP, sounds great either live or studio.

Created by Steve Rabe, founder of SWR. The Parametric EQ is just easy to dial in a great tone.

15. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Currently running a GK 700RB. It's a great little amp, but not enough power for the loud bands I play in. Again, I could just add another 4x10 or get a louder amp, but I want more versatility than that.

16. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Been happy with both the RBI and RPM for years now.

17. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    If you want a cheap, great-sounding GK preamp, score an old 200RB amp for under $100. Run the preamp out into any power amp, and BOOM! All kinds of loud & mean.

18. I have the SWR Interstellar Overdrive, the Ampeg SVP-Pro, and the Sansamp RPM.

The IOD has the "swr sound", and offers foot switch controllable clean/dirty.
    The SVP-Pro has the "ampeg sound", but the foot switch controls the graphic EQ, not a grind/clean setting.
    The RPM (can) simulates the "ampeg sound" (or flat) and offers a foot switch engage/bypass of the Sansamp circuitry.

If you have two Sansamps, the footswitch can switch between units, i.e. the RPM and RBI.
    Set the RPM for dirty mode, set the RBI for clean mode.
    Footswitch between the two.

The IOD has very anemic output and won't drive a typical power amp to full power.
    I use an intermediate Rane ME30B eq as a booster.
    The SVP-Pro tends to be noisy, some units are not, many are quite noisy. Mine is not. YMMv.
    Output transformers can fail, and are not available as service parts.

IMO, the Sansamps (RPM, RBI, VTRM) are the ones to consider.
    They are very quiet, in current production, and tonally very flexible.
    The RBI has a strong scooped-mids, where the RPM has sweeapable parametric mids.
    There are many threads on the various Sansamps, and comparisons.

19. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't want to have to start lifting weights before I can carry my rig aroud. ;)

20. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, this is very informative. I'm leaning towards the RPM right now. I'm reading about it on-line and listening to Rush In Rio (which I believe Geddy uses an RPM for). But I want to explore all my options before jumping into something too quick again.