1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a really unusual effect pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Seb Peters, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a really off the wall, unusual effects pedal. I'm not that into heavy distortion (A little crunch is okay) or fuzz or the like, but I'm open to pretty much everything. I currently have a boss me-20b & a EHX Big Muff Pi.

What'd you guys recommend?

2. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
  3. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard?

4. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Xotic X-Blender?

Or the EHX Bass Micro Synth?

5. dd16

dd16

Dec 23, 2011
    Paris, France
  6. Rthm

Rthm

Dec 7, 2010
    dd16, you just made me very,very happy.

7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Source Audio Multiwave Distortion can get pretty weird. The FEA Growler can sound kinda weird and interesting if you set the generated harmonic signal 100% wet. (Kind of a hollow, synthetic octave up sound)

8. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    I've just seen the Source Audio Soundblox Envelope filter, and it looks pretty sweet. That hot hands thing is either genius or was made on another world!

9. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I've been using several SA pedals for awhile now, but I've sadly never had a chance to try the hot hand yet. I'm pining for one (along with about 50 million other bass related pieces of equipment) but am broke for awhile, so my GAS has no release or relief! :bawl:

10. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Would a an SA pedal be worth investing in then? I've heard quite good things about them ...

11. Its gol
    Its gold!!!!
    Just bought one 2 days ago and its just out there with awesomeess.
    So much possibilities wih my zoom pedal, bef and boss 3.
    I'm happy

12. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    YES! I have three of them (BEF Pro, Bass Distortion Pro & Guitar Distortion Pro). They are all really great. Nobody makes pedals like SA, and I say that as a good thing. They really think outside of the box. :)

13. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    I've a Markbass SuperSynth that can get pretty out there in terms of sounds.

14. Eventide Pitchfactor. Loaded with a heap of useless effects on top of being the most accurate pitch shifter on the market. got mine a few weeks ago :bassist:

15. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Really? I find a lot of the effects really useful (Pitchflex for whammy, micropitch for chorus, Synthnizer for well, synth stuff...) plus a super accurate tuner that kicked the Korg Pitchblack from my board.

16. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
  17. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    +1

Since most expect me to say B:Assmaster, I'm going to throw a curveball and say that the Crowther is very unique in the way that it breaks up...almost like a Moog synth going on in the background blended in.

18. Well for me Pitchflex is the main thing I use it for. It's about the only thing I think is useful in making music. Crystals sounds very cool but I'm yet to find a way to put it in my music. Synths are fun but I wouldn't know where to use them. Diatonic, Quadravox, Harmodulator and Harpeggiator are cool effects but I don't see where I could apply them. Without delay and using them for a more harmonizing use I think is more a guitar then bass thing. I get what you mean about the Micropitch, but I already have a T-Rex Sweeper Chorus which I can use at the same time as Pitchflex (I think Eventide should let you combine effects). I guess it depends on the music you play. And I've only had it 3 weeks so I havn't explored every effect in depth. Nevertheless, every effect on it is extremely fun :smug: