1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a reliable head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Dec 12, 2006.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I am planning to start gigging again, and my Hartke is on it's last leg. I'd like something around 300W or better, and would like to keep it under a grand. I like the sound of the hartke well enough (pretty clean and transparent) but I want something that can stand up to being carted around. Any suggestions?

2. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Peavey Firebass 700. You can get one used for under $200. 700 watts at 2 ohms, so lots of power and very clear tone in my opinion. You could go Avatar as far as speakers. $350 or something like that for a 4x10. Maybe check some used stuff.

You can get a fairly decent rig for a good price while looking used.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I second the recommendation of the Peavey Firebass 700. It was rebadged as the "Max 700". You may even be able to find a NOS Max 700 at your local peavey dealer. Reliable as hell and should sound damn good, too, if my Max 160 is any indication. A google search turned up NOS Max 700 amps for $599 from online dealers. Great price. Reliable, good sounding, powerful, abusable. Made in USA.

4. I would like to add Gallien Krueger to this - I used my 800Rb for years with no problems and only sold it to get a 700RB II.

I would have to agree that Peavey is a good bet as well - I think they can sometimes be seen as a cheap option (as in "cheap and nasty") but they do seem reliable and tough. the mainstay of many a rehersal studio.

Also old Trace Elliot stuff that's been looked after.

5. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Without a doubt i would say the Ampeg SVT-3... 450 watts of mosfit power with a tube preamp... Doesnt weigh 200 pounds like some, but is more than enough power to excersize my 8x10's... Extremely reliable....

6. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Cool. I'll take a look at those. I guess for clarification, I'm going to keep using the hartke cab I have (I like them, I know others don't) but the head is just toasted. Started life as a 7000, smoked one output section to convert itself to a 3500. Is just chock full of bad solder joints inside (has been redone 3x in the last 8 years) and not worth monkeying with anymore.

7. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA

Ok, I thought a whole rig. GK 700RBII or a used power amp like QSC or Crown and a preamp. Used poweramps go for about 250-400 for 500-800 watts at 4 ohms. And I'm sure you can snag a decent Preamp for what ever is left in your price range.

8. +1 on the SVT III. The GK sounds great with a Stingray though - not sure if that's what you're playing but I thought I would throw that in there!