Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a replacement for my fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dru, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    i have one of those deluxe mexi jazz basses and i love the tone. Big fat and boomy. The problem is that it weighs 11 pounds and is very uncomfortable to play. I get bad back aches and hand, wrist and arm aches playing that thing. Can anyone reccomend a lightweight super comfortable instrument that is as versatile and bassy as my old fender backbreaker? thanx.

2. A lighter Jazz? ;)

3. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    *blushes* well, u know what i mean! jazzes are kinda bulky, something more ergonomic and comfortable.

4. Check out one of these: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905

I got one about six weeks ago, and it has a very killer tone. Doesn't sound exactly like a jazz, but, it's kind of in that territory. Its magnetic pickup is half an inch further from the bridge than a Stingray's pup, and it has piezos in the bridge. They make the bass. They sound so good. I usually use the magnetic on full, and the piezos at about half. Its got a very good tone, but, it's hard to compare it to an existing bass.

As for your back, this thing is so light. It's the most comfortable bass I've ever played standing or sitting. The body has a convex curve to it; it will not lay flat on the floor. Only the edges come into contact with the floor.

I don't want to ramble on, but, this bass is most definitely worth a listen. They're about $670 without a case.

I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Mike :)

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    fender makes a couple of short scale basses that are exactly what you need no? not one of those cheap squier bronco's(cheap as in lower end,not garbage cheap) i'm talking about an american mustang(which are considered some of the best basses by some in that scale)or fender japan makes a 30" P-BASS as well.if a full scale is what you want i know from experience that Ibanez has that soungear line in which some of those basses are really light,i had the GSR200 and it was like a toy compaired to the mexican anchor jazz i had.almost forgot the fender aerodyne jazz bass,its japanese made,sounds really good,made good,and very light,its made to be very lightweight.then again i have noticed that the weight of the same bass varies from one to another and finding a jazz bass that is alot lighter than another is very possible,i know for a fact that different finishes requier different woods,which would explain the weight variences from one bass to the other.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'd check out a Spector, maybe a Czeck made one if you don't mind spending the $

Rob

7. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    groovy. thanx guys. ill check out your suggestions.

8. do you want another jazz bass (I mostly mean another bass with the Jazz pup configuration) or are you up for a new different kind of bass. and how much money do you have to spend on this?

9. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    i dont think i want another jazz bass because the body is somewhat uncomfortable for me. I definately want the pickup configuration though, or maybe soapbars that sound similiar. Im not much for p-pickups or musicman style pickups. Im kind of looking for the ultimate ergonomic lightweight j-bass that can get as boomy as my klunky j. It could just be wishful thinking though. I liked the brian moore bass but dont know how long it would last if i bought it. It doesnt seem too sturdy. I think i would dish out anywhere between 800-1200 for a new one, unless i find a cheaper one that feels and sounds the same. :bassist: Are the modulus genesis and pedulla buzz comfortable?

10. check out Fabregues basses, they are sort of like Sadowskys but less expensive:

www.fabregues.com

:bassist:

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    11 pounds heavey for a jazz? not likely
    my jazz wieghs 14 pounds....
    then the one my dad built for weighs 7.5

steve

12. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    14 lbs! good god! how can that be comfortable for anyone! I bet that thing is very phat and boomy sounding though.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it sounds awsome!!! but it isn't that bad..
    but i also weigh 125 to 130

steve

14. You wouldn't want my bass, I've got the same dilemma...it's an old jazz bass that I swear must weigh in at around fifteen pounds. What a back breaker.

How about one of those Alembic Essence basses? They're small bodied, but the electronics are quite spectacular, that is if you're willing to spend the cash:rolleyes:

15. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yup, Essence are not heavy, and body is small. Price is not too bad either - I got mine used for $895