Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a replacement speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrock111, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm looking for a 12" replacement speaker for a combo amp(Ampeg BA-112). The stock speaker is starting to sound distorted even at low levels. I don't think it is the amp itself because it sounds fine through the headphones.
    So any advice would be great. Also prices would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    They are in stock in Service. P/N is 86-107-08.

You can call Service at 1 800 738 7563 for pricing etc.

3. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    yeah i've got the same problem with an eden cxc112 combo.sounds alright at low volumes but distorts at higher ones and you have to back the bass right off to the point where it sounds like a guitar.i'm getting an eminence delta 12"(rated 400watts)$89? after getting an aguilar gs112 cab(custom eminence)and swapping the speakers over to see the difference.eden speaker sold, eminence here in a couple of days.i understand that eminence speakers are used in a lot of bass cabinets even if it is not stated.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Get the Eminence Magnum 12 HO, available at Parts Express. Your speaker sounds like crap at volume because the driver has run out of cone excursion; the Delta has only 1.6 mm of excursion available, which makes it a very poor choice for bass despite its power rating. Watts are meaningless; they only tell you how much power the voice coil will take before it cooks. For undistorted bass you need excursion, and a driver designed to deliver it in a small cabinet. At 5mm of excursion, when combined with its other specs, the Magnum delivers. Expensive, yes. Worth it.

5. It is worth taking the time to measure your cabinet internal volume and figuring out which driver is the closest match. Be sure to deduct the volume occupied by the driver, and any bracing, ports, etc.

You can sort my spread sheet by box volume to find the closest match.

The Magnum 12HO and Omega Pro 12 are very similar, but the Omega is optimum in 0.25 more cubic feet. This lets you pick between the two to best match your volume. Xmax is the same, and Xmech/tuning are very similar.