Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a Sadowsky bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bas_anton, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Hi, I couldn´t sleep last night and instead I thought of how my dream bass would look like. Does anyone have a picture of a Sadowsky 4 Vintage with rosewood fretboard, 59 sunburst and tortoise pickguard. You know the same look as Fender´s 64 replica. I really like how Fender´s sunburst get´s when it has been played for "some" time. I mean look at Jaco´s bass. It´s cool. But I like to be the one who is responsible for a all of my cracks and dings on my future bass.

2. From Sadowsky's site:

Style: Vintage 5-string
    Finish: '59 Burst
    Wood: Alder
    Fingerboard: Morado
    Pickguard: Tortoise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have 4 Sadowskys, and this one is a special one with possibility to change from PJ to JJ [Roger provide the routing for the neck pick up and also the Tortoise Pick guard].
    It has amazing Brazilian Rosewood with very dark colour like Ebony and nice texture [ I have another one with Brazilian but not as nice as this ].
    This time I put PJ in it but when I am bored I will change to JJ.
    It has a wonderful tone !

I am so sorry , I have difficulty in loading the picture.

4. I think I am a Fender guy. From what I have heard and what I have seen, Sadowsky seems to be the ultimate "Fender":)
    I like the idea of get a bass your really happy with and just play for the rest of your life.

5. I agree:

[​IMG]

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get an NYC or Metro bass with that make up, nice specs. :bassist:

7. Wow. That sadowsky on the right is stunning. Fingerboard and all :eek:

8. Thanks. Here's more of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Awesome. Thanks

What grade quilt top is that (if you know)? 4A 5A maybe?

And is the fingerboard quilted maple as well?

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Fretboard is birdseye maple, I'd say the top is 4A.

12. Since you're Swedish and want a super-J, I must ask if you've considered any of the European alternatives? Celinder, Hot Wire and Basslines springs to mind as worthy of consideration. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a Sadowsky in any way - if they're only half as good as people here say, they must be just brilliant instruments - I'm just curious.

13. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    God willing, that's gonna be mine in a couple of hours ;)
    Again, to all those who doubted J.S - your loss is my gain :D He's a great guy and I'm glad to have made his acquaintance.

14. The Sadowskys look great but being in Europe there are other alternatives to try as mentioned previously, One is the UK maker GB, and as a coincidence I have one for sale (blatant sales pitch) 4 string, quilted maple top, Birds eye maple fretboard, GB p/ups and electronics, check it out!

Apologies for highjacking this post!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 1.That cherryburst bass above is beatiful. But the pickup location won't allow it to sound like a jazz bass. Not better, not worse, just different.

2. My Sadowsky J (above) has a birdseye maple fingeroboard.

I would rate the top quilt at 5A but that' subjective. When I asked Sadowsky to build the bass I said "put on a truly killer outrageous quilt top...primo". And I'm happy.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The 5A I've seen (on Alembics) tends to have a smaller number of ripples, but they're really, really large. That top is pretty outrageously awesome on your Sadowsky, though!

17. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Does Mr Sadowsky build fretless models? I dont think I've ever seen one.

18. 1. Sadowsky builds fretless basses. See Jeff Rader's posts and the "Instrument of the Month" at www.sadowsky.com Here's one with a spalted maple top and lines on the fretboard:

[​IMG]

2. Grading quilt top has nothing to do with the size of the 'quilts' or 'ripple' or 'waves'. I am pretty sure it is based upon the depth, sharpeness and definition of the quilt, curl, ripple, whatever.

For example, subjectively, I would give the quilt on my J bass a 5, the quilt-flame on my green Sadwosky guitar a 3 .

19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI