1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a Scales & Modes book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maturanesa, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hi!

Im looking for a scales/modes book with graphics to explain/give photocopies for my students

anyone knows of some good one?

thanx!

2. [​IMG]
    If you would like a digital copy. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/bass-guitar-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html Scroll down a page.

Then I typed this up as a companion piece.
    Code:
    Major = R-3-5-8
    Minor = R-b3-5-8
    Dim = R-b3-b5-8

Major 7 = R-3-5-7-8
    Minor 7 = R-b3-5-b7-8
    Dom 7 = R-3-5-b7-8
    ½ Dim= R-b3-b5-b7-8
    The 8 is optional

The Major Modes 
    Ionian is the Major scale
    Lydian # the 4th
    Mixolydian flat the 7
    The Minor Modes
    Aeolian is the Natural Minor scale
    Dorian # the b6
    Phrygian flat the 2
    Locrian flat the 2 & 5 

Solo Scales
    Blues = 1, b3, 4, #4, 5, b7, 8
    Minor Pentatonic = 1, b3, 4, 5, b7, 8  
    Major Pentatonic = 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8

3. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    The improviser's bass method by Chuck Sher is good with graphics of the fingerboard.

4. imho a better strategy would be to show them the formulae and have the students work them out themselves.....

5. thanx

6. Fat.Mike

Fat.Mike

Dec 15, 2006
    Tulsa, Ok
    Bass Grimoire by Carl Fischer. Lots of scale content, usually available at GC or the Barnes & Noble.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    FYI:

Bass Grimoire is by Adam Kadmon (as are all the other Grimoire books). http://guitargrimoire.com/table2.htm

Carl Fischer Music is the publisher.

8. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    It's a crappy book, don't waste your time. Get the Improviser's Bass Method instead.

9. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Adam, I value your opinion, but... any arguments?

10. A.Diva

A.Diva

Dec 31, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, why is it crappy? I'm a newbie and I take seriously the recommendations I see here.

Thanks. :)

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  12. i'd be interested in a few opinions on working them out themselves instead of looking them up in a book.....imho i think the stuff you work out yourself sticks in the memory.....sort of a teach a man to fish thang.....

13. Buying one copy of a book and distributing photocopies thereof would most likely place you in violation of copyright laws. Although the probability of prosecution may be low, the fines can be draconian.

14. dtiii

dtiii

Apr 22, 2009
    nyc
    Like it or not, Grimoire is thorough in its scales/modes presentation.

I do believe it is best to have the student work it out themself one string at a time based on the whole step/half step patterns. Give them blank neck diagrams and have them fill in each pattern after they work it out on the fingerboard.

15. Have the student purchase the book and then the two of you use it together. Back when I was in the training business I would purchase a book for every one in the class and we would use them through out the seminar.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/1560913789/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

I recovered the cost of the book in what I charged for the class. Everybody is happy this way.