looking for a second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buzzbomb, Mar 28, 2005.

1. buzzbomb

Aug 3, 2004
    i've been playing for about 2 years and my squier p-bass is starting to fall apart. I'm looking for a bass in the $500-600 range, and i play mostly ska, punk, rock and a little bit of jazz.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ernie Ball SUB is good for all of these genres, good solid bass for $700 new, can grab them used in your price range.
  3. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Are you thinking new or used? For a new bass check out the Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass. They run about $700. The SUB's seem pretty solid but I'd rather have a thrashed stingray. Used I'd look for an 80's model Spector NS2A in decent shape then drop some EMG pickups in it. Seems like you could get a used G&L in that price range as well.
  4. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I would second Simball for the used G&L - you probably can find one in your price range. If you wanted a new bass, I would look into a G&L Tribute. The tone controls are intimidating at first but don't let it scare you away, it makes for a very versatile instrument.
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    What is "falling apart" on your bass? Just curious..
  6. LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    I've got a Dean European Improv 4 bass Mint cond. for sale.

Improv's are some of the best basses dean has ever produced.The Improv's were made for DEAN at the same manufacturing plant in Europe that European SPECTOR models were being produced.

The Dean Improv's have the same pickups and electronics as the Spectors (EMG CS Active pu's & EMG onboard preamp w/ Vol, Blend, Bass cut/boost, & Treble cut/boost) - The same tuners (High Quality Schaller Tuners) & the same body-wood configuration Alder w/Figured Maple top.

The fretboards for the Improv's as well as the Spectors are made of Exotic Wenge (Great Tone) The only diference I could see after playing both the Euro Spector and the Dean was the body shapes and the bridges. The Improv played and sounded equaly as good as the higher priced Euro Spector.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    buy my 97 warwick active corvette with a hardshell case for $700. i can nearly guaranted you won't find a better bass for the money.
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    $500- $700 can open a lot of doors for you.

Although I've never played them, the MTD (Michael Tobias Design) Kingston and Heir basses are said to be very well-made instruments.

Peavey's Fury line is excellent too. Much more consistent in quality than their Grind line. I tried out a Fury 6-string and it was killer.

Spector's Legend line is worth considering. You can't really go wrong with a Spector.

Yamaha has some excellent basses in the lower price bracket. The RBX and BB line have some great stuff. Consistent build quality too.

Other brands I've seen recommended are Schecter, ESP/LTD (I was considering an LTD bass for a good while), others...

Or if you're not averse to buying preowned, you can probably snag a nice higher-end bass for a killer price.
  9. buzzbomb

Aug 3, 2004
    right now, 2 of the frets are actually bent off the fretboard, making it so i can't play past the 8th fret on the D string or past the 5th fret on the G string.
    there's also a few "notches" in the saddles of the bridge that are digging into the strings, so they break easily.
    When i went to have it repaired, they said it would cost more than the bass is worth, and i'm no good at fixing things myself.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingston. Can't reccomend these basses enough. Also, a used Spector Rebop would fall into your budget.
  11. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Wow, that really is falling apart
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
  13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    For your styles, I think you started out with the right idea -- P bass. In your price range, you could get a new Standard series, and several used options exist. You could go Highway 1, or maybe even used American Standard or American Series. OR, try to find a good '80s-'90s Japanese P. I have a '94 MIJ Foto Flame, and it absolutely NAILS the classic P tone. Don't know how easy they are to find, but check www.basspalace.com. They frequently have some.

An Aerodyne Jazz might be good too, with its P/J configuration. That's an awesome sounding bass.
  14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Wow!! That is some serious stuff wrong with that bass!!! I realize nobody is going to try to say that a Squire is top shelf, but, wow, that is horrible!! What did it get used for before you owned it, driving nails or something??

I think the earlier Yamaha suggestion might be your best bet in terms of bang-for-the-buck. I would guess you're probably a little hesitant to get anything too low end again :scowl:

edit: Just realized that all of the Spector/Peavey guys might think I was suggesting that their basses are low end .... I'm not, honest :bag:
  15. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    A GEDDY!!!

Very versatile bass for very low price :)