Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a short scale EUB.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jazz Ad, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Basically, I'm looking for a fretless bass I could bow.
    So, why not making it vertical ?
    It makes much more sense to me.
    Possibly with 5 strings but it's not mandatory.

I know KYDD basses, any other good ones ?

Has anybody got experience with Wishnewsky's EUBs ?
    I'm pretty sure their quality compares with his electric bass guitars, but it's better to ask.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You'll find a number of shortscale EUBs among the makers in my Double Bass Links Page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html as well as links to a maker database and user reviews.

The only other 34" scale EUB I've played was the Conklin MEU, actually played a 7 string model at NAMM. It was very nice, much nicer than the KYDD. You strap it to your body, which I thought might be awkward, but it wasn't.

Unfortunately, many of the short scale EUBs (and some long scale ones, at that) are nothing more than what I refer to as a FEBGOAS*. :D

*(Fretless Electric Bass Guitars On A Stick)

3. Bob, could you post the link to the pictures you took of the 7 string MEU? I tried the link in the other thread, but it didn't work. Thanks!

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Sorry, can't seem to locate it. I looks just like the standard model with a wider fingerboard, etc., as you might expect.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This MEU really looks wonderful. I'm affraid it's a bit out of my price range though.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't really think of anything at them moment other than the KYDD. I have had the chance to play a couple, and I think they are great instruments. The 5 string has a great low B.