1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a short scale EUB.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jazz Ad, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Basically, I'm looking for a fretless bass I could bow.
    So, why not making it vertical ?
    It makes much more sense to me.
    Possibly with 5 strings but it's not mandatory.

I know KYDD basses, any other good ones ?

Has anybody got experience with Wishnewsky's EUBs ?
    I'm pretty sure their quality compares with his electric bass guitars, but it's better to ask.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You'll find a number of shortscale EUBs among the makers in my Double Bass Links Page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html as well as links to a maker database and user reviews.

The only other 34" scale EUB I've played was the Conklin MEU, actually played a 7 string model at NAMM. It was very nice, much nicer than the KYDD. You strap it to your body, which I thought might be awkward, but it wasn't.

Unfortunately, many of the short scale EUBs (and some long scale ones, at that) are nothing more than what I refer to as a FEBGOAS*. :D

*(Fretless Electric Bass Guitars On A Stick)

3. Bob, could you post the link to the pictures you took of the 7 string MEU? I tried the link in the other thread, but it didn't work. Thanks!

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Sorry, can't seem to locate it. I looks just like the standard model with a wider fingerboard, etc., as you might expect.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This MEU really looks wonderful. I'm affraid it's a bit out of my price range though.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't really think of anything at them moment other than the KYDD. I have had the chance to play a couple, and I think they are great instruments. The 5 string has a great low B.