1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a simple tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichiBass, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hello,

I currently have a Markbass CMD 121 P combo, which I like very much, but I am looking to build a more powerful and bigger 4x10" rig with a tube head (hybrid also works for me). I am looking for at least 500 W solid state, or 100-150 W tube.

I prefer simple things, so I only need a gain and master knob, and eventually a 3 band EQ (most of the time I play with everything on flat, so why paying for it when I don't use it?). I also take in consideration only power amps, with no preamp. This should work like a head set on flat, or?

I want a good quality super solid and powerful tube tone.

So do you have any suggestions? I can't afford a SVT-CL head, so I would prefer something around 800-1000$.

Thanks,

Michi

2. J-O

J-O

Jun 27, 2010
    Get yourself a used Ampeg v4. Should fit the bill perfectly, and they can usually be had for around $700.

3. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    If you want flat response without EQ, then a power amp would make sense + a simple preamp just to bring your signal level up to drive the power amp input.

Peavey IPR and Behringer BDI21? Well under budget.

4. This would be an option, thanks!

No tubes, not bass voiced / designed, and Behringer is... not high quality stuff.

5. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I love my Genz Benz Streamliner 900. 3 tube preamp and 8 lbs. 500W into an 8ohm cab or 900W at 4ohms. I got one barely used for $600 or so.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    WalkAbout is tubey and light too, simple intuitve EQ. Traynor YBA-200s are great too if you want an all-tube amp.

7. I'd recommend a Pignose B100V if you can find one. I have one and love it.

8. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    You said solid state was an option and you run with EQ flat. Power amps are designed to be flat - so not "voiced" at all. The voicing would come from the preamp.

As for Behringer quality, I'd say most of what you read on forums is just from people repeating what they've heard without trying it for themselves. You'll find a ton of posts from satisfied owners of the BDI21, but if you really are set against it, then pay more and get a Sansamp which sounds the same according to this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/sansamp-bddi-vs-behringer-bdi21-blind-test-294957/

Both pedals will give you a good approximation of an SVT.

9. Hybrid is an option for me, so tube preamp with solid state power amp. I think that there is a difference between a PA power amp and a bass amp. Also, I am looking for tube tone.

And I have a Radial Pro DI Box, so no need for a Sansamp :)

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I've bought and sold SVT's within your budget several times.

11. The only difference in a PA power amp and a Bass power amp is if the bass power amp is poorly designed or must be over-driven (in the case of a tube amp).

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I was about to say the same thing, there are three SVT-CL's on my local CL for under $1000. But, OP's location is listed as Romania. Probably not as many available for cheap in his region.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    +1 for either the Ampeg V4 or the Mesa Walkabout. I own both. Both are amazing pieces of gear. Both are a joy to play through. Different ends of the spectrum as far as new or vintage. But both are just a lot of fun to have behind you at a gig.

14. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    littleMark 800

15. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I missed that bit! Oops.

16. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Carvin TS100 stereo tube power amp will do what you're asking:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS100

I got mine for $100 on local CL, admittedly a steal, but I've seen them from time to time for a few hundred bucks. 100 watts of pure tube tone. You can drive up to four 8-ohm cabinets so you can get a lot of volume from those 100 watts.

17. Thanks for all the opinions and recommendations.

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Or a Markbass TTE 500 or 800. These amps very much have the sound and feel of simple tube amp. The Genz Benz Streamliner is a great sounding head too.

19. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    The Sansamp (or similar) suggestion was made to give you a decent simulation of a tube amp sound. A passive DI like the Radial won't do that.

20. I don't want a simulation, I want the real thing :D