looking for a single rack space device that can switch preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. armybass


    Jul 19, 2001
    I am not sure what to call what I am looking for but I will do my best to describe it....I run a rack with multiple preamps in it. I am looing for a single rack space device that I can plug into and it will send the signall from which ever preamp I want to use.....instead of unpluging and rewiring the rack every time I want to switch preamps....

    Do they make such a thing?

    What is it called?

    Where can I find it?

  2. bongomania

    bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

    Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Rane SM26 is one option that I know works because I've used it that way. It's a "line mixer", so that's what to search on for other options. I've also found some switchers, but they tend to be wildly expensive. The good news is it would be quite an easy DIY if you wanted to.
  3. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    It would be a very simple thing to DIY. A few jacks, a switch and a 1U rack chassis.
  4. armybass


    Jul 19, 2001

    Thanks I will search for that....

    As far as DIY....me and soldering iron are not a good match....:eyebrow:
  5. JimWasHere


    Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Voodoo labs... GCX guitar switcher and ground control pro. Not cheap, but extremely versatile.
  6. Lex P.

    Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P.

    Mar 19, 2003
    Switch Witch by ProCo works well.