1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a small amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patreimer, May 21, 2011.

1. patreimer

patreimer

May 21, 2011
    I'm looking for a small, powerful amp under $1000 that has good tone to it. I have a gig coming up and I need to be able to be heard by 125 people outdoors. I've been playing the bass for about 15 years but I'm not a big gearhead and don't know much about equipment--- unfortunately now I need some bigtime help. My dad has an old Acoustic 360 that I love, I know I'm not going to find one, but is there anything anyone knows of that would be similar? Comments? Suggestions? Help!??! Any help would be much appreciated.

2. depending on your timeline, I'd look at used and go for a Gallien Krueger 800RB (about 350 used) or even a 700RB (500+/- used). Reliable solid gear that are classics, and for a good reason.

A number of different ways to go w/the cabs depending on what's available in your area and what you like. I'd say get the head first then audition various cabinets, lots of good choices out there, just depends on what sounds good to you. But if you've 500 to 800 leftover after the amp you've got a lot of room to manuever, good luck and have fun with the process :)

3. What kind of cabinet are you going to use? I'm just curious of you ohm requirement...

4. btw, you're going to need a lot of "meat" for outdoors, very efficient 4-10 (or 2 2-10s), or 6/8-10s, 2-12s, 2-15s etc are what you should be looking at, not 2-10s, 1-12 or 1-15 unless you've got PA support. Impedance requirements as was posted above matter if you're going to get all the juice out of your amp.

5. ....and you're going to want to get every watt out of your amp so look to a total of 4 ohms as that's about as low as most solid state amps can take.

Also take a look at Peavey's offerings both new and used. Good value and well built, esp as you get into their more "pro" stuff. Different tone than GK but that may be more to your liking. Again, used market is your friend if you've a little time before your gig.

6. patreimer

patreimer

May 21, 2011
    I'm looking to build for the ground up, no cab or amp yet. I've used an Ampeg B15S combo and just used the PA for the boost til now. I guess I'd shoot for 4 ohm though. I love the tone of tube, but I beat up on my equipment and should probably go solid state. Thanks Again to anyone who posts. I love music, I'm just not a gear head especially when it comes to amps.

7. Ampeg STV-7PRO, or the Genz Benz Streamliner 900; 1000 watts and 900 watts at 4 ohms. A lot of watts for the buck, and both mimic tubes well...

8. good suggestions.

Also look into doing the separate preamp/power amp configuration, people here love the Tech 21 boxes (great Ampeg sound in a stomp box!) feeding a good sized power amp, lots of flexibility and portability. Have fun:cool:

9. patreimer

patreimer

May 21, 2011
    What does everyone think about the Acoustic B600H Amp and B810 Cab. They're got them paired together for like 1050 at guitar center. Do you think the a 600w@2ohm head and a 800w@4 ohm 8x10 cab would be enough for an outdoor setting?

10. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Probably. The PA is not an option at all?

That rig sounds like a lot of practical bang for your buck IMHO.

--Bomb :bassist:

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 or 9.0 amp docked on a 12" Shuttle speaker will do just what you need. I've doien it myself. You'll need to find them used, but they're available. FANTASTIC amp, much bigger sound than you will expect, perfectly capable of dealing with that size crowd outside. Peak power into the single 12T speaker is 375W, which is plenty. Best of all, you can attach a second cab when needed, and the combo weighs only 37 pounds.

[​IMG]

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    How about renting a rig for the day?

Are you going to have PA support?

Maybe borrow your Dad's 360 head and rent a cab?

That way you won't be rushed into buying something you end up not liking very much.