1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a small and light cabinet, need some advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ilmaio, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Hi folks, as the title says i'm looking for a small and light (back problems) cabinet to use with my ashdown little giant 350.
    I'm a former guitarist, so i'm a total noob in bass cabinets:(

Excluding 4x10's i was looking for a 1x10, 2x10 or 1x12 cab.
    I'm not a "pro", i have a band with some friends, we do some gigs in the summer, always on open air stages, and always with PA support; we play pop-rock, nothing too loud.
    I need a cab to use at home and at rearshal.
    I use an Ibanez BTB 675, so i need i cab that can handle well the lowB.

Looking in the internet i found these cabs in the price range of 300-400€ (that's my budget):

Warwick WCA 112ND: 1x12 with neodymium speaker, very light (17kg)

Warwick WCA 211 Pro: 2x10, same size of the above one but more heavier, 25kg

Ibanez P110C Promethean: 1x10, veeery light (9,5kg)

What do you think about these cabs? I'm attratcted by the ibanez, but i don't know if the single 10'' cone is enough...

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome:smug:

2. with 400e you can build yourself a fearful 12/6 (kappalite 3012lf & alpha6) and it will outperform all of your mentioned cabs and some 4x10 cabs.

search the wiki for 'fearful' and you have all the information there :bassist:

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    First, a 1x10 just isn't going to get the job done.

I would recommend at least a 1x12 or 2x10. Two would be better and allow you to cover most situations while having the option to leave one behind for lower volume applications.

Since you're in Italy, the first place I would look would be MarkBass http://www.markbass.it/

Their 2x10s and 1x12s are light and generally well-regarded.

4. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Thanks for the suggestion, but i prefer to buy something "ready to play", i'm not a fan of DIY.

I know that Markbass products are awesome, but their cabs cost about two times my bugdet:meh:

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    In that case, the Warwick 1x12 looks like a much better option. Not only is it lighter, it is much more efficient. The extra 6dB of sensitivity over the Warwick 2x10 should make a huge difference in your available volume.

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Based on my experience, with gigging/herniated disk/2x10" & 1x12" cabs, etc... because your in Italy, check out MarkBass cabs. Specifically, their 2x10, and a sturdy amp stand that will allow you to raise the cab a bit and (most importantly) point it at your ear.

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    A 1x12" might work if he uses an amp stand for reasons mentioned in my last post. He's still gonna need plenty of headroom as well.
    There's just no beating clean headroom and pushing plenty of air. :)

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have the Ampeg micro 210 cabs two of them. they might be too expensive for you. However for the real bass experience I would use nothing less than an:
    Ampeg 410HLF 500 watts @4 OHmS. That being said maybe something else will suffice such as a Genz-Benz 212 but that make is just as expensive as the Ampegs are.....Good luck :cool:

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Look into the new gk stuff. Super light.

10. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    See how much it'd cost to get a Barefaced Midget to Italy. It'd be perfect if you could do it.