1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a small but giggable combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkalicious101, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Hoping to start gigging again, but I am currently between amps. I would definately rather go for a clean sounding combo, as it is what my music demands for.

Something small, but with little sacrifice to tone. Looking for clarity mainly, not thump or volume.

I play solo music, I dont need to be heard over an entire band.

I was looking into things like the PJB Briefcase, Markbass MiniMark or SWR Baby Blue. Unfortunately I have only seen one of these (the SWR) in any local stores, so I may have to order off of the internet.

I will be playing guitar through it aswell, though this will probably not sway my choice much, as I quite like the sound of guitars through bass amps.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to look into, or which ones I should stay away from that would be great.

Thank you,
    Sam Becker

2. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hi,give a roland a go.i,ve got a db700.1x15" n it has a great sound,sounds cause you can store 2 settings in it,s memory which gives you 3 at anyone time.the compressor is one of the best around.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you could get your hands on an Aguilar AG500-112C combo, you'd be in hog heaven. It's even mo' bitchen with a GS112 under it. Mesa also makes a 112 combo that sounds halfway decent.

[​IMG]

4. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    +1 on the mesa, especially with the extension cab.

also check into an (older, ie used) eden metro.

edit: just realized my supporting membership expired :/

5. jdb

jdb

Jun 18, 2007
    probably on the road
    endorsing artist: ampeg, dimarzio, dean markley, jim dunlop
    i use one of these swr workingman 12 with an evm12l in a kk audio extension cab
    swrwm12.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a GK MB 150S combo. It's not a loud amp compared to many small combos but it has tone for days. It seems they've opted to sacrifice extreme volume for a nice smooth and musical sound. I can get a great sound from it with any good bass I play through it. For solo stuff or where you don't need to compete with loud guitars and drums it's ideal for me.

It's very small and light-only 25 lbs. It puts out 100 watts into its internal 8 ohm speaker and 150 when an 8 ohm extension cabinet is added. The addition of an extension cabinet makes the sound bigger and warmer. GK makes a matching 1x12 extension cab for this amp which sounds exactly like the internal speaker in the combo so it's a good match and the extension cabinet is the same size as the combo but even lighter-16 lbs.

It'll play louder than the Phil Jones and I like the sound better than the Baby Blue. I haven't tried the Markbass.

They're reliable little things and I have a couple friends who are still using their original versions from 10 years ago or so without problems. Guitar sounds pretty good through it. Carol Kaye uses one for both guitar and electric bass. It's also a favourite with upright bassists.

It's not cheap though. I paid about $800 Canadian from a music store. You could get one for at least $100 less from an on line store in the USA which is not an option for us in Canada. Some online places won't ship to Canada and the ones that do you have to pay import duties and taxes, negating many of the financial benefits. Also for factory warranty work if needed you'd have to ship it back to the online company from where you bought it versus just taking to my local GK dealer.

Definitely worth considering. I certainly love mine. I sold my Mesa Walkabout Scout combo to get this little GK when my gigging needs changed and I no longer needed all the volume the Walkabout can produce. I haven't been disappointed.

7. GK 400RB/210. I love mine!

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genz Benz Shuttle. I use the 3.0-10T for allmy stuff - jazz, cover band, etc. Works great. 18 pounds. Big sound.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another nod to the (halfway) decent sounding Mesa combo with a 12" driver, the Walkaway.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The others mentioned are great, and I'm especially fond of the Mesa. It's one of the best combos I've ever tried. If you don't want to spend that much, check out the Roland Cube 100. It's in the same league tone-wise as the G-K MB line, and costs much less. It has a coaxial tweeter, and thus plenty of clarity, and it sounds very good with my Strat.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Walkabout "Scout"
    Ampeg B100R, B200R. (USA made)

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I sold my beloved SWR BB II combo once I compared it to a Markbass Minimark (MM). I use the MM all the time and my bandmates are always amazed at the tone and volume from it.

13. +1 great amp for a great price.

I've been using the Workingman's 10 for a long time and it's great for when you don't want/need to lug around a big rig.

There's a new SWR lightweight combo that's just come out with the baby blue 180 watt head and a neo 10" speaker. It's called the Spellbinder Blue. I can't wait to try one of these out.

[​IMG]

14. Over the last couple of days I realized that I get almost my ideal tone when playing through a Yorkville studio monitor, so maybe something with a very transparent sound would be best for me. Any ideas on some combos that can give me a very "natural" tone?

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Then why not get a Yorkville powered PA speaker and use a preamp? They'll be as clean as any combo amp and probably have a flatter response.

16. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

12" 4 ohm Walkabout Scout... :hyper:

17. Hmmm, I might just do that. Will it still sound okay with electric and accoustic guitar?

18. Love to, but I really dont want to buy a new one and I cant find any used without some serious shipping.

19. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    SWR California Blonde will sound nice for solo bass and has two channels so you can use the second for your guitar...

blonderight_hi-63a4c2dbc65465cb8c07f632aa2afcc4.

20. I actually asked about that earlier and it seemed as if it would not sound very good with bass guitar.

Probably not electric guitar either for that matter.