1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a small combo for home studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kipaste, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey!

I've been building a small home studio lately, but now I find myself needing yet another piece of equipment. (Oddly enough, that seems to happen every 36 hours or so...) I really don't like recording directly into the audio interface and I like hauling the big vintage SVT rig back and forth every two days even less, so I'm now looking around for a modestly priced practice size combo. The idea is to put a mic in front of it and then blend the mic sound with the direct inject sound. The music to be played with the amp is sort of jazz/hiphop/funk/reggae with a plenty of slap bass, so I'm looking for fat and punchy tone, definately not anything hifi.

I've been spending waaayyy too much money on this project already so the budget for the amp is really low, around 200-250 $ (but the prices aren't always comparable, as I live here in euroland..) I realize that isn't going to get me anything spectacular, but it is what it is. Also, I really don't have the chance to go out and try a lot of stuff, that's why I'm asking for your help.

So the main thing I'm willing to pay for is a fat and punchy tone. A line out in the amp would be a big bonus, but it can naturally be taken care of with a dual DI box. Also, some compressor/ limiter would be nice to have before the software compression.

The main things I wouldn't like to pay for (I wouldn't mind them, but the budget is tight) are tweeters and headroom. I don't need any of that hifi modern slap stuff, I'm into the fat midrangey vintage slap tone. Also headroom is something I just don't need for this project.

The funny thing is, I actually know that I should buy a fender bassman 25, but in this part of the globe they can't be found used, and the new ones some shops still have left cost almost 500$ and thus go abowe my budget. And buying from the US ebay would end up really expensive too due to the insane import taxes and fees we have around here.

Even though I haven't been able to try any of these out, the main contenders are:

- Hartke A35. It would have all the options I need and a really good looking price tag, but the whole aluminium speaker thing is something I'm not really sure I would appreciate.

- Gallien & Krueger backline 110 combo. It would probably be pretty much what I need, but it's a bit expensive and it has plenty of watts I don't really need.

- Acoustic b 20. It's something I would probably take after the fender even though it doesn't have a line out, but unfortunaly it seems like they're yet to land on the Scandinavian soil.

So, does anyone have any experience with the entry level eden nemesis combos? They look very interesting. Or how about peaveys in this pricerange? Any other models/manufacturers you could suggest? Rolands are also sort of interesting, but the whole digital/modeling thing is something I'm very sceptical about, as I used to have a basspod xt and pretty much hated it as it always sounded digital.
    I don't have the chance to try any of this stuff out, so I would be relying on the experts of TB on this one

Thank you in advance for all the help.

2. LowDown 110?

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm getting a new Carvin BR12 (120w, 12" speaker) delivered Monday so I'll post a review.
    Roland Cubes are outstanding little buggers with big sound, effects and speaker cab simulation.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've been using a Yorkville Sound XM50C for just this type of thing. You should be able to find a used one for under your budget and new they were going for around $300 Canadian. It has an XLR line out, headphone out and an input for a CD or MP3 player besides the usual eq controls. I can get a great recorded bass sound from mine with a combination of direct and miced. Its plenty loud for studio use where you don't want high volume.

I used to use a Peavey Minx for the same thing and before that the legendary Polytone bass amp. The Yorkville is every bit as good.

5. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I'd look for a used ampeg B-100-R. Great combo with great sound. A bit on the heavy side, but what a sound!!!

In second place, the ampeg BA112. Less volume but still sounding great.

Yorkville also makes great combos for the money.

6. Ibanez soundwave. Inexpensive and very flexible(Go for the 65).

7. Those are exactly my choices as well! I have the B100R, it sounds amazing! Has 100 watts and more than enough for recording.

I just got a BA112 and at 50 watts, it sounds great, has different styles, and is light.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Find a used Ampeg B50R.
    50 watts, 12" speaker, killer tone.
    I also own a B100R, But the B50R sound better for recording.
    I like the B100R for small to med. gigs.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to the Ampeg BA112, B50R, B100R. These are the ONLY solid state Ampeg combo's that don't suck, imho. All 3 have a very warm, solid bass tone, very unlike the more popular BA115's and what have you. I use a BA112 for recording demo's, and get a very useable tone from it. And, since you'll have to buy used, you save money, too.

10. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks a lot for all the replies! I think I'll make a little trip and go to try the ampegs out. I really like they stuff as a SVT owner, but somehow I've never tried the solid state ones. I didn't even look at ampeg, as I figured they would be out of my price range, but I could afford the BA112 which is actually around 70 USD cheaper than the bassman 25 around here. Go figure. Finding the bigger ampegs used could take such a long time when the market is this small so I'll probably take the impatient way out and get the BA112.

This is exactly the reason why this talkbass is so great, I would have missed on these unless of you guys, so thanks again!

11. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I agree that the BA-112 makes some tone and as long as you're looking to use it for recording, you ought to be okay. I had one that I wanted to use for playing alone or in smaller band practices, but I couldn't get any volume out of it for rehearsing and I could only use it at home. I got mine new and for what I paid for it, I expected it to be just a little stronger that just an amp for woodshedding by myself.

12. I recently purchased a B50R off ebay and love it! I now have all three of the combos you mention, and they are great. They serve all the needs I have for gigs, recording, and practice.

13. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    +1

The B-100R isn't quite a B-15, but it's as close as you're going to get in a modern amp. Plus they are nice and compact perfect for home or studio. And if you ever have a small gig such as an acoustic show, or some other setting where you aren't dealing with stacks of 4x12's, it actually makes a surprisingly good live amp also. Just send a line to the PA and you're good to go. I bought mine on a whim, and absolutely love it.