1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a small combo for studio work

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metanoiastudios, Dec 1, 2010.

1. metanoiastudios

metanoiastudios

Dec 1, 2010
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a combo rig to use at my studio...I really don't need a large rig, as I will only be using this to record. I like the sound of a nice 10"...would even entertain the idea of something like a 8" or 5" (Phil Jones comes to mind here). I'm more interested in tone than I am in low end, if that makes sense...

Any good suggestions (aside from the typical Ampeg B-15 recommendations)? My budget is about $700-$800.

Thank you!!!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had really good results with my Gallien Krueger MB150S combo in the studio(both mic'ing the speaker, or using the DI which is very clean). Its small, portable, and has a tone that really sits nicely in a mix. You can find them used for under $500 frequently.

3. Maybe a used Mesa Walkabout scout!
    Best combo ive played

4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Ampeg BA112? :smug: GK MB150S/E?

5. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3?

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Good call. In combo version, per OT, Shuttle 3.0-8/T or 3.0-10/T.

7. I love my Phil Jones Super Flightcase (6x5", 250W) but it's a little over your budget. Super clean sound and super quiet - no hiss or hum at all. Seems like a good choice for studio work.

8. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    Line6 studio 110

9. What type of tone, style of music you after? I get good results from my epi valve jr guitar amp. I also occasionally use my minimark w a sm57 for a nice smooth tone.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T combo.
    Great DI as well.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would be thinking small tube amp or direct. Avalon U5 / Reddi in the later case. Fender Princeton or Deluxe Reverb and a 1x15 extension cab with a Jensen, etc. If you could cmbine the guitar rig and bass rig budgets then a Princeton Reverb and a U5 can sound freakin awsome for bass...

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    B50R would be my choice for a bargain combo for studio work if you're set on a combo.

I'd suggest a good DI as well, for sure. Always a good idea to take a clean direct sound you can use with plugins and junk later or to fill out the combo's holes.

13. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I would like to suggest an SWR Baby Blue II combo(2x8). Fantastic tone! There are alot more smaller and lighter combos out there, but this one sounded so good. It has a tube pre which you can swap out to get different flavors. My fave was a NOS JAN 5751. I really miss it, but I traded it for an R-Bass....worth it.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The two combos I like best in the studio are Mesa Walkabout and SWR Super Redhead.
    Both have very nice DI's; and great tone that mic's well.

15. metanoiastudios

metanoiastudios

Dec 1, 2010
    I record anything from folk to death metal, so I need something that can sound pretty neutral, but will take pedals such as the VTBass well.

Lots of awesome suggestions. Thanks guys!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well if it's neutral they want, they can go direct and get that. you definitely want a tube amp with a good vintage sounding cab, probably not over 50w, probably a 115 or 112. aside from the b-15, there's fenders, maybe an old sunn, ashdown's got a new combo that looks like the 70's b-15n coming out. if you have any guitar amps already, you could try wiring them to a cab more suited for bass, or just keeping the volume down on the guitar cab so it doesn't blow.

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  18. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    My two bits:

SWR Workingpro 12 or Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 10T

19. metanoiastudios

metanoiastudios

Dec 1, 2010
    Whoa, that combo looks killer! I take it you own one? Can it get a little dirty if need be (for rock)? I could see getting great results by miking both the 6" speaker and the tweeter, and combining both signals with a DI.

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I have the MB10 version. Great little amp.