1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a small, lower power bass head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by olgluefoot, Mar 3, 2008.

1. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006
    for guitar...

The only small solid-state guitar amp I can seem to find is the Crate Powerblock. And I would like a few more options. A bass playing friend suggested I look into bass amps (always trying to convert me) I need some thing small in size (I already lug around a 4x12) Under 200w, and it has to be able to do 16/4 ohms mono, or 8 ohms stereo. Other than that im pretty open to suggestion.

It will also be nice to have a bass amp :bassist: (cause I do play bass when the mood is right :D )

2. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006
    bump :)

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Check these makers:
    Euphonic Audio
    Genz-Benz
    MarkBass
    Acoustic Image

Any that I have missed?

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Also, while not strictly on-topic, it's worth searching for threads about playing bass through guitar speakers, since there exists the possibility of damaging your drivers.

5. I have a Hartke 1400; it's solid state, 140W into 4 ohms, 80W into 8 ohms. Musician's Friend blew them out a few years ago at $99 on sale. They're small, pleasantly portable and sound pretty darn good. They even have a tube emulation switch, active and passive inputs. 4 EQ bands. Probably weighs no more than 10-12 pounds and is only about 4" tall.

They don't show up used often - I suspect those who grabbed them tend to hang onto them. But they work well, are nice and portable, and might suit your use very well. they now only come in a combo amp - I think the sell-out at MF was the end of the separate, portable amp in this series.

Here's a link to a picture and specs...http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=345

6. olgluefoot

olgluefoot

Dec 9, 2006

no worries there ;) I learned my lesson doing that a few years ago. But ill check some of the manufacturers, and search some more. Thanks. ;)