1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a smoother, mellower string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jbailes, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Hello all,
    I presently have a set of DR nickel lo-riders on one of my jazz basses, and it has a pair of nordstrand NJ4SE pickups and a Leo Quan BAII bridge.
    I very much enjoy the tonal character and multi-dimensional sound of the lo-riders, but they have alot of "klank" in the attack, and just begs for slap bass technique, as do all DR strings.
    I was thinking about the rotosound swing bass 66 strings (Jaco's strings), but if you have other suggestions of a string with a smoother attack, I'd appreciate it.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Weird. I found Lo-Riders to be quite dull for a roundwound. If they're too bright for you then may I suggest possibly trying some flats out? They definitely are a lot smoother sounding.

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    GHS pressure wounds are a really nice, smooth sounding string IME. I really liked them when I had them on my Sting P-bass.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Give D'Addario chromes a go. Flats but with some of the qualities of rounds... lots of harmonic content if you play percussively, and after a couple of weeks they sound very deep and quite warm... with a distinct edge.

There are a lot of options, but once you adapt to the smooth feel of the flats you get some crazy mellow tones. I used to struggle with finger noise when playing sofly, trying to subtly slide on a fretted bass with rounds... not terribly satisfying. Flats are worth a go. I love them in case you haven't noticed :D

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Between the two I think the rotosound swing66 sound better.

6. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Yeah, I thought I'd give them a shot. It might be a case where the BAII bridge is contributing to the brightness in the attack as well.
    I hate to complain about DR strings since they are really awesome. I have another Jazz that is more set up for slap style with a set of fat beams on it and its got that Marcus Miller sound all over it.
    But for this particular bass, I was hoping to get more of a "fretted Jaco" sound if that makes any sense.

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Smoother than Lo Riders?

I would suggest Fender 7250 or GHS Boomers. Once broken in, a smooth, vintagey sounding round.

8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Am I the only one thinking that the Badass bridge might be suspect here? That bridge is known for its effect on the attack and treble response from a bass.