Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a solid 4 string (or 5) in $250 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoFrequency519, Jan 5, 2006.

1. LoFrequency519

LoFrequency519 Guest

Jan 5, 2006
    Burlington, VT
    I'm just starting to seriously pick up bass. I've been playing on my friends axes for about a year now and I want to get my own gear and start getting more serious about it. I have 8 years of experience with drums and percussion and I can already read music, and bass clef. I'm looking for a bass in the $250 range that will be solid and reliable. I know I won't be able to get the best stuff around for $250 but if you guys could recommend some to me, that would be great. I'm looking at a lot of used basses so that I might be able to get something a bit nicer but for a good price. The Ibanez EDB series has caught my eye but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks! :bassist:

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I got my MIM fender jazz (fretless) for $200 off e-bay, they go for that often. They can sometimes be hit or miss (good 'ole fender quality control), but they're pretty much guaranteed to be a solid bass. I love mine to death.

Or, for $250, you could get 2 SX's and have a backup.
    rondo music

3. LoFrequency519

LoFrequency519 Guest

Jan 5, 2006
    Burlington, VT
    I'm assuming MIM is "made in Mexico." I've like some of the Fender Jazz basses I've played but other than that, I'm not really digging the Fenders.

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Fair enough. I haven't liked most of them myself, but I'm very happy with mine. :D

When I was looking in this price range, people kept throwing "yahama" at me, so that's something you might want to consider.

My suggestion would be to start haunting your local used guitar stores and play everything in your price range +$100-200. Then when you find one you like, either buy it then and there or start hunting for it cheaper online. Ebay is nearly always cheaper than local stores (and always sketchier), but you may have to wait awhile for your bass to show up on there.

5. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Well, Yamaha is always a nice start. I still have my RBX350.
    Light, nice quality and good-looking.

6. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    4 string with graphite neck for 300 in Classifieds here at tb. I always liked them, and graphite neck a big plus.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ones to check: Older Ibanez's, USA Peaveys - check those on Ebay.

Or SX.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    250 will buy you a peavy t-40. Quite a heavy bass, but it's a great sounding, great playing Vintage USA made bass. I spent 250 for a t-40 with a case, and it was the best 250 I have ever spent on a bass.

Old Peavy Patriot, T45,and Fury (similar to a pbasses) and Foundation (Similar to a jazz bass) model basses can often be found for less than 200 bucks. I like the old ones with the super ferrite pickups, but the other ones are good too. Just make sure it's one of the made in USA models.

Ebay, talkbass (there's a t-40 there now) pawnshops and music stores -especially local stores- tend to have old usa peavy's for good prices.