1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a speaker cabinet that has little to no coloration.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mastershake, May 17, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i think i might have one in mind already thats been mention on this forum more than once but feel free to mention anything that comes to mind even if it seems obvious to confirm my suspicion.

pls im only looking for answers related to which im asking. so if you have any opinions opposed to the very question im asking i rather not hear of it, im only looking for answers not a debate of why its dumb to look for cab that dosnt add color(cant we all just agree to disagree?). thank you, any info would be much appreciated :)

2. fEarfuls

/thread

3. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    suspicion verified thanks. is there any others?

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    A slightly less-refined but similarly effective option would be the Avatar TB153.

A much less-refined but still effective option would be the Carvin LS1503 PA cab. Or, if you don't mind schlepping a hundred pounds, its larger brother, the LS1523.

5. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Acme

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Used EA 112CXL.

7. 1) fEARful
    2) Avatar TB153

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    any cab will be "colored." flat response does not exist in cabs. you can get it semi close, but that's about as good as it gets.

9. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't had the pleasure of a fEARful just yet, but my Avatar TB153 seems about as neutral and honest as it gets. Between the Conklin, the Lightwave, and the Wish fretless, the differences are marked and remarkable. Certainly much, much different than any other cab I've used.

10. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    +1 jimmy. i dont think they exist. i could prove it with a 31 band real time audio analyzer. you would need to go with higher end stuff and not use typical bass cab drivers. more like pro pa gear. johnny a.

11. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    you may be very well right but if semi close is as good as it gets ill take it.

12. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i realize nothing will ever be 100% without color. im just looking for something with a less colored sound like a flatish response PA system

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A studio monitor...

14. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    im talking for live music

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Spoken like a new TB'er. One of the first rules of TB is once you make your post, you'll never be able to dictate what direction your thread will take. ;)

fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys
    fEARful

16. Duke (Audiokinesis) makes speakers (currently 1x12s) that use a custom driver based on the LF the fEarfuls use, but trades off a bit of extension below 60 Hz for a little more efficiency above. Instead of a mid driver, he uses a waveguide-loaded compression driver crossed over below 2 kHz to match the dispersion of the woofer but prevent it from narrowing above. You might want to check out what people have been saying in the Audiokinesis thread.

edit: Barefaced could be an option as well, depending where you are.

17. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A large studio monitor like a JBL 4350B:

[​IMG]

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    He was asking for a cab that had little to no coloration. While you are right, any cab will be colored, I think a fEARful will fulfill his desire for a cab with "little" coloration.

Thanks Jimmy...I may even use that as my new sig...

fEARful...that's about as good as it gets.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My Acmes are black...does that count for something?

Let's turn the question around: what speaker enclosures impart too much character?

Riis

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Carvin LS1503
    Walk over to the PA/FOH part of the store to find the most transparent cabinets.