Looking for a specific type compressor (I've done many searches, trust me!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a pedal compressor for $200 and under that is very transparent of course. Something thats not going to alter my tone alot, but give a "kick drum" type effect.

I looked at many. I hear that the Demter Compulator is "soft-knee" compression, and I believe "hard-knee" compression is more suited for that "PUNCHY"/"kick drum" type effect.

what does this the best out of the MANY MANY compressors out there? - Again, Kick Drum Punch.

I need the price to not go over then $200.00.
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, that price limit IS a limit indeed, but I believe it's true - hard-knee would be better for the punch.

I'll be interested to see what you come-up with on this question...

Y'know: I've noticed over the last year that we see more-and-more threads about compression, more-and-more bassists buying and USING compression, and LESS of the comments like "nyeahh - these guys just use compression to cover-up their sloppy technique; I don't need such a crutch... Nyeah-nyeah". Y'all notice??

3. thanks joe. anyone know whats best for punch?
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'll tell'ya: I'd like to try one of those old Yamaha compressors in the loop of my GK sometime for that 'punch' or 'tick' effect. I used to use those things for PA insert limiters back when compression was way-too-expensive, and the Yami was a great price ($225 back in '83-or-so, if I remember correctly) for a reliable unit (You could just go-ahead and unplug one of those things from the outlet during a show - it would simply and unnoticeably go to hard-wire bypass!). The only 'bad' thing about them was that they had such a huge control range, that you could make them have all sorts of awful compression side-effects if you wanted (or, of course, if you DIDN'T want, but just didn't know what you were doing); no soft-nuthin', no-program-controlled-nuthin"! An audio teacher could use one of those for a demonstration of every compression and limiting side-effect in the book!

I'll bet THAT one would do it.

5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If were talking Tony Levin Type compression then the Analogman Bi comp or even just the normal ross clone should do, but for the extra $$$ you might as well get the bi comp, always useful to have loads in a pedal ;)
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Bi comp has over a 1 year wait. I'm on the list for one myself. They do come up used from time to time on Ebay but a lot of the time for more money then they are new.
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The mini bi comp is just a couple of weeks. Last I checked
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Analog Mike doesn't always quote times from reality, he was going to build me a bass specific 'King of Tone' pedal in a 'few weeks'. That was a year ago.
  9. ...so does anyone know of a pedal that there isn't a year wait that its in my price range?

I'm not so sure I should NOT be considering soft-knee compressors either. Its just what I heard from one source. Does anyone own the Aphex Punch Factory, or the Demeter Compulator, and if so, does it make your tone more "punchy" ?

DavidM - I know your love the Multicomp, does that pedal make your tone more punchy/thicker? Also any comments on the Tubeism feature?

thanks in advance.
  10. *sigh* - You know what... I've done this before... trying to see whats the best out there in my price range and trying to make a decision based on others experiences.

Well, I just purchased 3 compressors. The EH Black Finger, Aphex Punch Factory and the Demeter Compulator. While taking advantage of 30 and 15 day return policies, I'm going to do a comparison and see which I like the best.

I'll throw a comparitive review up on this thread in about a week to let all know what I percieve as notable diffrences.

can anyone predict what diff I will find?
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Trace Elliot dual comp pedal works really well, and go for about $75 used. Tons of punch. I really prefer dual band compression for bass, and if you're willing to give a rack unit a spin, a used Rane DC24 should be in your price range. Such a great unit! Has all the good punch adding, fingerstlye fattening, slap smoothing qualities of the Trace, but with a cleaner/clearer tone.

I havn't tried either of the units you bought though, they may be great too.
  12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't really like the tubesim mode to tell the truth, but that's more because I have the multicomp to do 'transparent' compression with the multiband mode. I've been very happy with the ebs for a couple of years now, but on a whim recently decided to try out the demeter compulator - so I have that on it's way to me now.

At the end of the day, that's the only way to be sure. Esp with the various return policies out there, it makes sense. Buying pedals off of other peoples recommendations is always still a guess at the end of the day, so why not try out other ones at the same time?
  13. thats funny, I have the Compulator comming to me as well. Let me know what you think, comparing it to the MultiComp! would like to know your thoughts on that one.
  14. bassix

May 1, 2000
    Denver, Colorado
    By "kick drum" effect do you mean that leading edge punch you get with a good compressor when your slapping your bass? If so, I personally wouldn't be looking for a transparent comp. (Keeley, Toadworks, etc.), but would go for something like a Compulator (my fav) or Aphex Punch Factory.
  15. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't tried the Compulator, but I have the Blackfinger, and the Punch Factory. I'm suprised the Blackfinger was under $200. In Canada it goes for $300+.

I'm guessing that you won't like the Blackfinger. It really coloured my tone. And instead of punch, I found it to be more distorted. Also, I found the Blackfinger to be really noisy.

I really like the Punch Factory. Very transparent, yet still punchy. It may be too smooth for you. You may also want to check out the BBE Optistomp (or something like that). I have the BBE preamp, and I really like the built-in compressor.
  16. thanks to all!

i have 3 comming to me and think I should be satisifed with one of them

out of the:

Demeter Compulator
    Aphex Puch Factory
    EH Black Finger

Out of them... we'll see what happens.
  17. Do you find the BBE Optostomp (what You've tried on the BBe Premamp) to be less 'smooth' then compared to the Punch Factory? Or better question... out the Optostomp vs. Punch Factory, what do you feel is the best one?
  18. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    IMO: Comparing the BBE Preamp compressor with the Punch Factory. I find the Punch Factory to be more "transparent". ie: It is hard to tell, unless at extreme settings, that the Punch Factory is actually compressing the signal. You don't really get that "squashy" feeling that other compressors have. (Blackfinger comes to mind). Hence my conclusion that the Punch Factory alters my bass tone very little. At higher settings of compression I find that the Punch Factory is noticable. Still very clear, very clean and even, and not very squishy. A plus in my books.

The BBE Preamp compressor is very warm feeling. Right away I noticed added warmth (overtones/harmonics from tubes?), and a bit of, dare I say, "growl". ;) The BBE did however, smooth out my signal alot more than the Punch Factory. It almost felt like changing from a maple fingerboard to rosewood (at more extreme settings).

I suggest you try out the Optostomp once you return your Blackfinger ;) . Assuming it's as good as the compressor they put in their preamp, it should be nice. I have heard many good things about the Compulator too. I really want to try this one out. If one comes up used I'll probably jump on it.

19. "growl" !!! What!! I'm ALL OVER ThAT!!! :D ;)

I eneded up canceling the Black Finger order before it shipped. I thought it would be just a waist of a trial/shipping cost and due to the many somewhat negative comments about it. I ended up ordering the Optostomp instead. We'll see what happenes. So far the list is:

Punch Facotory
    BBE Optostomp
    Demeter Compulator.

We'll see out of these 3 which I like the best. I will try my best to put up a good comparitive review as well.
  20. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    i cant wait to see what you find when trying them out, these are the same three pedals im trying to choose from (with the ebs as well.) it would be neat if you could post some sound samples of an a/b/c comparison with the trio when it arrives. happy testing! -dave