1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a stand alone 15" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eno50, Mar 12, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    I'am looking for a 15" standalone cab,does not have to be super light weight ,maybe around 50lbs or so, full range cab.
    I read here about some guys using the carvin PA cab
    model #LS 1503 a three way cab with a 15 a 6 and a horn ,
    Carvin has them on sale for 319.00 now, but are they really any good for bass guitar or can they handle it?
    i allways liked to have a mid driver but I dont really care for the tweeter,I would like to get one of the DR bass cabs with a 15 and a 8 or a 6 but the waiting line is very long, like a year or so.
    Any info would help.
    Thanks eno

2. Bag End S15X-D. You won't regret it.

-- Dan --

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Berg HT115

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You might get some initial help from my 1x15 Shootout, though it is getting to be a bit out of date. :meh:

Tom.

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    There's a lot of buzz around the Schroeder 15+ cabinet right now. I've not played one yet, but I bet you'll hear more about it on this thread soon.

6. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Big +1 on that

7. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    According to the original post, The dude is looking to spend in the neighborhood of $319.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That older Trace Elliot 1153 can be found for well under that, and it TOTALLY kicks arse, in my book. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

9. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Shameful...:scowl: You act like your busy editing a magazine or something. :D

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL! :p

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    If you're gonna drop $300 - save a couple hundo more and grab an Orange OBC 115 - you WONT regret it! Very punchy cab

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have the LS1503, very good low end thump, good midrange, and tweeter. Can't go wrong for thr price. I also have the Schro 15+, great cab with the right head, imho, but alot more $$.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'd say get the Carvin LS1503. Nothing else around for anywhere near the price will work as well for that price. I love Dr Bass cabs and that's all I use right now but if I were looking for a 15" stand alone cab that would be my choice in a heartbeat. You could check with Don at Low Down Sound too. He can build about any cab you can think of and his wait times aren't bad at all.

14. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    If you're handy (and even if you're not) and have the tools and time you could buy either an eminence kappalite 3015 (non lf) or reconed EV-15L and build one of the EV TL606 boxes. PM me for plans if you're interested. Same cab design as the Mesa Diesel and the Orange OBC 1x15's already mentioned... A lot of older guys (like me:)) swear by these cabs.

One downside is they can be a little heavy if built exactly as the plans state (overbuilt IMHO)

15. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I'm a fan of the Carvin LS1503 cab as well.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you are talking building, check out my sig for the fEarful. Using modern drivers including Em Kappalite 3012LF or 3015LF, two-way or three-way, well-braced 1/2" plywood. Much like a 2-way TL606 or the Carvin LS1503 mentioned above but with even better drivers and more low-end extension.

17. BERGANTINO HT-115, is THE best 1-15 available, period - and I have owned several different 1-15's. I use one HT-115 in my practice rig below my EDEN Travellor combo AND I use another one in my recording rig. Awesome cab!!!

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not going to do any better than the fEarful. No mainstream cab manufacturers make a 15 worth a ****. The Schroeder looks pretty nice, but it'll be light on the bottom and poor off-axis response. Nothin you can do about that except getting a mid driver.

I'd suggest, if you're not handy, call Low Down Sound and get a 15/6 built. They should do it for 450-ish, I believe. DIY, do the fEarful -- about 300 bucks in parts if you don't get super expensive plywood.

19. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    a used Dr. Bass

20. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Good luck finding a Berg HT115, they haven't been sold new for quite some time.......Since you DID specify full range, nothing else comes close to the Carvin.

Don't know what kind of power you're using, but one of the Avatar SB112's is pretty "15" sounding since it's in a bigger box than most single 12's. Definitely NOT full range, though.