1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a suggestion for a "real New York jazz club"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by sejarus, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    My friend Lisa is a vocal music director at a local high school. She's taking her 10-member vocal jazz group to New York for about five days over Easter weekend. She told me she wants to take them to a "real New York jazz club" while they're there. So I sent her to the allaboutjazz.com website. But then she told me her parameters: has to be Sunday April 16th (which happens to be Easter), has to be easily accessible via subway or otherwise (they are staying somewhere just south of Times Square), has to be reasonably affordable (e.g., no $30 cover charges), and has to have a vocalist (darn singers). If any of you New York guys have suggestions for such a place, or suggestions for where or how she can find such a place, please PM me. thanks

Bill

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I was just starting to get interested...but I think my personal definition of a real Jazz club would exclude singers!! ;)

Only joking...:p

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/newyork/index.php

It all depends on what you want to check out. Any club that's going to have "international" level players (Vanguard, Iridium, Blue Note, Birdland, Dizzy's, Jazz Standard etc. ) is gonna have a hefty cover charge and minimum. A club that doesn't have a hefty cover charge and minimum ISN'T gonna have "big names". You've got places like Small's and Fat Cat, Smoke, Lenox Lounge, etc. that have a lot fo great music but may not be names you are familiar with ( I was surprised at just how few folks outside NYC know a lot of these players even though they have records out, tour and are all over a lot of different media), there are joints like 55 bar and Detour that don't have a lot in the way of amenity (or in-tune pianos) but have great music (from time to time). and there are a million joints that have some really wonderful players who are there basically as "aural wallpaper".

My recommendation would be to bite the bullet, peruse the attached guide and pick one (or maybe two) performances that you wouldn't be able to catch coming through where you are and drop the change. How many times can you see live jazz in NYC? And when you do get the chance, is THAT where you want to be counting your pennies?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

As a Jazz fan - a few gigs from April 16th leap out at me!! ;)

"Forever Returns" at the Blue Note - Chick Corea , Eddie Gomez etc.

Billy Hart Quartet at Village Vanguard sounds nice...

If you like loud fusion - then Larry Coryell, Victor Bailey and Lenny White at Iridium sounds funky!! :)

If I was in New York on that day - then I would kick myself for missing one of those!

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.