1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a Super-Synth!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iamapirate, Apr 21, 2009.

1. OK, so at the moment I have a bass microsynth (the new one) and I find it a bit annoying that all the controls on most pedals are hand-operated. So I was wondering if there was a Synth that had the same kind of tone, maybe a few more features, but most importantly you were able to either:
    a) Save presets onto it, then use a footswitch to switch between them
    or
    b) Have a volume/expression style pedal that controls certain settings (resonance, strat/stop frequency, etc.)

Just wondering what's available. The closest I've come across is an octavious squeezer, I think.

2. soulplane83

soulplane83

Aug 16, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Akai Deep Impact, Korg G5...both discontinued. Markbass is releasing something called the Super Synth later this year which also would be up your alley.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

And both awesome, best bass synths around.

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The Korg G5 is pretty limited IMO. Tracking is amazing but most of the sounds are a bit... cheapo/gimmick. Can't comment on the Deep Impact, never had one.

I personally love the Octavius Squeezer, I really do. I don't understand why nobody else likes it. It doesn't have expression control over any params yet but it's hardware-ready for it, they just need to add it in a firmware update.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I liked it a lot. Considering that the synths I wanted were more hip-hop/Flaming Lips etc rather than 70's & 80's sounds it was a much better fit for me than the Deep Impact or BMS.

In fact, I'm using an OC-2, fuzz and the 00Funk to approximate some of the sounds I got out of the Squeezer. It's a great stompbox - just a bit too complicated for a plug & play guy like me.

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah I still love my BMS though, it's great for those '70s sounds.

There's a lot of functionality overlap on my board, but some pedals just sound better than others for some things. I don't think I'll find a combo of pedals that will do the BMS' best tricks better than it does them. I've looked!

I'm actually thinking of getting a second BMS and modding it for exp. control, just to stick at the end of my chain. I love the filter in that thing.

7. ah, thanks guys! Man that octavious thing is mentally funkadelically funky :)D). It's a shame it costs over £400 even on ebay. Anything cheaper? REally, all I need is a really good pedal technition to rip apart my synth and mod the hell outa it!

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The BMS (I have an XO) is a lot of fun, and there's nothing else I"ve tried that will do what it does with the start, stop and rate controls. Still, I just can't find a place for it in any of my gigs so it's likely headed out.

Of course, at a jam session (which I think I only used it once or twice anyway) I hit the Trigger slider with my foot and knocked it loose. Just what I was afraid might happen.

Well, somebody's going to get a discounted BMS.

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Well, the Boss SYB-5 has expression control . . .

10. ewww, i tried one out the other day. Anyone else think it sounds a bit cheap?
    hmmm, might just have to save up for an octavious...

11. Yeah, tracking issues aside, I might keep the SYB-5 if it didn't sound like a kid's toy. It's going to a new home tonight.

12. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yes, it sounds a bit cheap though I actually like some of the sounds of the Boss. It's the tracking that I couldn't handle. My recommendation was tongue in cheek.

The BMS is actually the most budget friendly bass synth pedal that sounds good. There really aren't that many options available and the others are all either cheap sounding or they are more expensive and possibly discontinued.

I finally gave up looking for a synth pedal and bought a Little Phatty.

13. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Regarding the tones on the SYB-5, it can sound much "fuller" when combined with OD and/or Fuzz. Do try this at home, kids.

Tracking *is* kinda crap, tho.

sounds... intriguing. :eyebrow:

14. Tekken

Tekken

Oct 11, 2008
    Turin - Italy
    I've heard here on Talkbass forum from some users (sorry, I can't remeber nicks) that the Chunk OS has some tracking flaws: is it true?

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah it's true, but it sort-of depends how you use it. Things that cause problems:

The portamento settings (turn any slight tracking glitch into a two-second, two-octave note bend!).

The Release part of the ADSR envelope (let your note fade out slowly after tracking it going slightly sharp as you muted the string! You too can sound like a chump!)

It's also a bit behind if you play very fast, and doesn't track long notes very well unless you crank the tracking sensitivity - and if you crank it too far it will bleep and bloop every time your move your hand. :D

It's not completely unusable though by any means, and it's still being improved. And this doesn't affect the fuzz or filter (of course) which are both great.

16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    O !!! Lips fan! same here man, love LOVE LOVE those tones those guys get on their records. just delish.

to the OP, i'd say a used BMS is right up your alley. the only problem i had with it is that i use a light touch and could never get the thing to trigger.